SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Translations of the Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Ormly... it is a question of truth. What is the truth? What is God's Word? Ultimately... the question is... what is our Final Authority?

Krispy

2006/10/13 10:27

Re: Great Perspective

Quote:
What is the "preserved Word of God" to an Albanian believer who doesn't speak a lick of English, and who doesn't know anything save the power and purity of the Word of God from his own Albanian bible?

I answered that question in a thread I started the other day... here's the link:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12785&forum=35#99115

Read My original post on that thread.

Krispy

2006/10/13 10:28

Re:

Quote:
After looking at the translation I have found that I have no idea where the NIV gets "keeps on sinning." This is indeed a thought which the authors believed was in the Greek text. I will explain why they would add it.

That's just good ol reformed thinking seeking to peruade the unlearned.. Obviously if the one keeps on sinning he was never saved, saved being made to be the new birth experience.

All translations should be viewed with the critical eye of objectivity. KJV still stands alone in being the most objective regardless of it's detractors from the academic field of higher learning.

Orm

2006/10/13 10:29

Re:

I, for one, think that a literal translation is the best. If the Holy Spirit is our teacher, let Him teach.

At least the translators of the KJV were honest enough to put the words that needed to be added in order to translate from Hebrew/Greek to English in italics. They did this so we would know that that particular word was not in the original language.

You dont get that in any modern version, yet many words were added in order to render a meaning. The Living Bible being one of the worst offenders.

Krispy

2006/10/13 10:38

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Ormly... it is a question of truth. What is the truth? What is God's Word? Ultimately... the question is... what is our Final Authority?

Krispy

Who can understand the truth from that which is being presented as such? I'm not implying that it isn't the truth however, truth becomes opinion when reduced to the academic level, mine as opposed to yours. Therefore, truth lies with relationship in/with Jesus Christ. He makes the difference bewteen my head knowledge and my heart actually knowing from the desire to know Him. Take a closer look at 1 John 3.16 in that light.

John 14:26 (KJV)
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, [b]he shall teach you[/b] all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you......And that from a hunger to know.

:-)

2006/10/13 10:45

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I, for one, think that a literal translation is the best. If the Holy Spirit is our teacher, let Him teach.

At least the translators of the KJV were honest enough to put the words that needed to be added in order to translate from Hebrew/Greek to English in italics. They did this so we would know that that particular word was not in the original language.

You dont get that in any modern version, yet many words were added in order to render a meaning. The Living Bible being one of the worst offenders.

Krispy

Speaking in general, the KJV may contain several truths contained in a particular passage, most of which are selectively left out of the modern trans. I have found this to be so many times, when comparing them, concluding them to be slanted towards an agenda.

Orm

2006/10/13 10:51

Re:

[b]2Ti 3:16-17[/b] [i]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.[/i]

Let's all remember that if we do not have the truth, the preserved Word of God available to us today... it is impossible for this verse to be true for us in this age. Without the true Word of God how do we know what is sound doctrine? How do we reproof? How do we correct? How do we give instruction in righteousness? How can the man of God be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works?

Since God spoke those words, and inspired Paul to write them down, and intended for it to be true and [b]eternal[/b]... I have to believe that means He has preserved His Word.

If He hasnt... and we've ended up with confusion as to what school of manuscripts are correct... and a possibility that neither of them are correct... then we serve a God with whom [b]not[/b] all things are possible.

Krispy

2006/10/13 14:56

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
[b]2Ti 3:16-17[/b] [i]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.[/i]

Let's all remember that if we do not have the truth, the preserved Word of God available to us today... it is impossible for this verse to be true for us in this age. Without the true Word of God how do we know what is sound doctrine? How do we reproof? How do we correct? How do we give instruction in righteousness? How can the man of God be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works?

Since God spoke those words, and inspired Paul to write them down, and intended for it to be true and [b]eternal[/b]... I have to believe that means He has preserved His Word.

If He hasnt... and we've ended up with confusion as to what school of manuscripts are correct... and a possibility that neither of them are correct... then we serve a God with whom [b]not[/b] all things are possible.

Krispy

Read the verse again... It is directed toward to "man of God". How did he become so and won't he know the truth that is perfecting him? Answer that correctly and you will have your answer. ;-)

2006/10/13 15:16

Re:

Are you assigning the term "man of God" to "clergy"... because I dont believe thats the case. I believe that applies to every believer... unless I dont understand your post? Can you clarify what you're getting at?

It's early on Monday morning, and I havent had any coffee yet... I'm completely capable of not understanding yet! LOL

Krispy

2006/10/16 7:17

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Are you assigning the term "man of God" to "clergy"... because I dont believe thats the case. I believe that applies to every believer... unless I dont understand your post? Can you clarify what you're getting at?

It's early on Monday morning, and I havent had any coffee yet... I'm completely capable of not understanding yet! LOL

Krispy

I'm with you in believing the man of God is not necessarily clergy but simply one/those in whom the Spirit of the Lord has access; one/those who is/are in the process of becoming son's.. That alone would eliminate most and alot of clergy.

As for coffee --- my electric pot just hollered, "It's ready". Hope your day is profitable in Him.

Orm :-D

2006/10/16 7:40

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy