SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : KJV..........

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
W_D_J_D

KJV..........

Hey everyone, the more iread the KJV the more i want to read it. God drew me toward the KJV when i got closer to Him and it is such a great blessing to posses one.

This site is a good one......

http://www.avpublications.com/avnew/downloads.html

By far the most accurate, and complete english translation.

I go to a greek evangelical church, all the elder greeks in my church agree that the KJV is the best english version available.

Verily i say unto ye, "the KJV woops the other worldy version"

God bless u all!

2006/7/21 22:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: KJV..........

I would be intrested to discuss more about the changes made in the NKJV. I know many people that like the KJV but would like to have a modernized version of the language which is totally understandable. I personally have used the NKJV and find it much easier to contextualize to people at times.

Here is a file that talks abit about the changes the NKJV makes which is not that good from first glance:
http://www.avpublications.com/avnew/downloads/PDF/LOTKJB/preview.PDF

2006/7/22 3:27Profile

Re: KJV.....

Hi all,

I usually keep well away from comparing versions of scripture, but I was reading in the NKJV (which does make comprehension easier in some places, mainly by modernising words no longer in common usage - not in usage at all, actually), when I noticed the stunning loss of meaning where the NKJV drops the 'I am' in sentences which seem to be in the past tense, or are negative in meaning. It doesn't drop them every time in the positive statements, but, I did find one, (below) and there are more:

(NKJV) John 12:46
"[u]I have come[/u] [as] a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.

(KJV) John 12:46
[b]I am come[/b] a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

For me - and probably everyone else - the IMPACT of Jesus' words is increased, every time one reads or hears 'I AM'.

(NKJV) Matthew 5:17
" Do not think that [u]I came[/u] to destroy the Law or the Prophets. [u]I did not come[/u] to destroy but to fulfill.

(KJV) Matthew 5:17
Think not that [b]I am come[/b] to destroy the law, or the prophets: [b]I am not come[/b] to destroy, but to fulfil.

(NKJV) Matthew 9:13
"But go and learn what [this] means: 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice.' For [u]I did not come[/u] to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."

(KJV) Matthew 9:13
But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for [b]I am not come[/b] to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

(NKJV) Matthew 10:34
" Do not think that [u]I came[/u] to bring peace on earth. [u]I did not come[/u] to bring peace but a sword.

I notice that 'I am come' is sometimes translated 'I came' - another loss of the I AM.... this time in the KJV.... although its many more uses of 'I am' than the NKJV, redeems it somewhat.

(KJV) Matthew 10:34
Think not that [b]I am come[/b] to send peace on earth: [b][u]I came[/u][/b] not to send peace, but a sword.

(NKJV) Matthew 10:35
"For [u]I have come[/u] to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';

(KJV) Matthew 10:35
For [b]I am come[/b] to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

The above is no way exhaustive, but, I just wanted to say it's important to note how the Holy Spirit uses the words 'I am' to minister to our minds, souls and spirits, and how His ability to do this is hampered by its loss.

2006/7/22 6:39
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

dorcas'

Quote:
The above is no way exhaustive, but, I just wanted to say it's important to note how the Holy Spirit uses the words 'I am' to minister to our minds, souls and spirits, and how His ability to do this is hampered by its loss.

mmm? This is a little more complicated that it appears. Biblical Greek tenses are different to English tenses in many ways and it is difficult to get a strict equivalence of tenses from Biblical Greek to English.

The mental associations you have with regard to "! am the door" etc is that this is a divine witness and you are right. The Greek verbal form for 'I AM the door...' is 'egO eimi' which means "[u]I[/u] (emphasised) am" and is a clear connection to the I AM of divinity. The word 'am' is a simple present tense of the verb 'to be' and "I am" is the best way of conveying this in English. However the Greek present tense is more like our present continuous tense and a pedantic translation would read "I am continually being the door..." etc.

However your John 12:46 is a completely different construction. The "I" is still emphasised but the tense is the Greek Perfect tense NOT the present TENSE. It is the Present tense which gives the I AM sense, the Perfect tense means something quite different. It is not the eternal present of the I AM but the history of a process. If we were to translate it pedantically we would translate it "I have come and am still here" The present tense has the sense of 'being' constantly and is perfectly suited to convey the eternal present of 'I AM' but the 'I am come...' of the KJV John 12:46 is really an 'accident' of archaic English which does not have a foundation in the Biblical Greek.

The loss of 'impact' which you feel is because you have been 'conditioned' by 17th century English of the KJV.

2006/7/22 11:14Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Greg's

Quote:
Here is a file that talks abit about the changes the NKJV makes which is not that good from first glance:

The list of 'errors and omissions from the King James Version'betrays the prejudiced position of its writers. As an example we might take the word JEHOVAH. According to the chart it is a 'key Christian word' which has been omitted from the NKJV. Let's look at the facts more objectively.

The King James Version uses the proper name of JEHOVAH only 4 times; Ex 6:3; Psa 83:18; Is 12:2; 26:4. The practice of the KJV is to substitute for the proper name of JEHOVAH the word LORD in upper case. In 4 instances it has not kept to its own rules and consequently we have 4 uses of the proper word JEHOVAH. The NKJV is simply more consistent and uses LORD throughout. Before we condemn the NKJV for not using the word JEHOVAH we should present our facts in a different manner. ie
1. the ASV [u]uses[/u] the proper word JEHOVAH 7333 times.
2. The KJV [u]omits[/u] the proper name 7329 times.
3. The NKJV [u]omits[/u] the proper name 7333 times.

On this basis the KJV should have its own list of errors and omissions.

To include this as an evidence of the 'errors and omissions of the NKJV' only shows the prejudice of the article. One of the reasons I use the ASV OT in my studies is because of its faithfulness in rendering the proper name JEHOVAH.

2006/7/22 11:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Ron,

Great clarification. Do you think the NKJV is trying to dumb down the language at all or is intentional in taking out divinity references? Do you think it is a viable translation that is worthy of use? I think many people are looking for a more contemprary KJV, are there other attempts out there that you think are worthy of mention?

2006/7/22 12:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Greg's

Quote:
Do you think the NKJV is trying to dumb down the language at all or is intentional in taking out divinity references? Do you think it is a viable translation that is worthy of use? I think many people are looking for a more contemprary KJV, are there other attempts out there that you think are worthy of mention?

Can I remind 'new readers' that my regular version for devotion and study is the KJV? :-D

I don't think the NKJV is trying to negate references to Christ's divinity or to the Godhead generally. It has tried to be more contemporary. For example, you probably don't get a lot of lords over your side of the water so 'Sir' is not an inappropriate translation of kurios. But then you don't get a lot of kings over there either so what word do we substitute for that? President? CEO? :-? This is the constant struggle of all translations, to convey older ideas from an entirely different culture into a contemporary form of speech.

The Message is not my favourite version but the introduction makes a good point when it says that God chose to give us the New Testament, not is classical Greek, but in street Greek (koine). The KJV was already archaic when it was first published. Thees and thous had pretty much died out other than among the Quakers. The translators used a quaint and majestic style which is now thought of as being 'holy'. As far as my knowledge of Greek goes the language of the Bible is not majestic and noble. On the contrary, at times its expressions are very crude. It is a very 'earthy' book. Its ideas are majestic but its langauge is very down to earth.

To cut to the chase... yes, I think the NKJV is a 'viable translation'. Is it perfect? No. Will it disappoint at times? Yes. But then that would be true of the KJV too.

Don't give away your KJV for close word for word Bible study but the inspiration of the Bible is not just 'verbal' ie words but also in its great sweeps of truth. For that reason a more dynamic equivalence translation can be really useful for narrative sections and a real help to getting the general sweep of things.

The ESV came in with a great fanfare from great conservative Bible believers like Packer but it has been a real disappointment to me. Perhaps I expected too much of it. The OT of the ESV is still a very valuable addition to any thoughtful student of the scripture but it does not fulfil its promise to be a 'word for word' translation. At times its interpretations obscure important truths.

2006/7/22 16:40Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

The NKJV, NIV and others takes away from the God Head putting His SON in the believer and then the Life of the believer not being the Life of Christ. It puts man in Charge of his own destiny as it was before the Cross. This is a real attack on the believer depending on the Christ In Him to bring forth the deity of Christ in the spirit of believer. We are quickened by this transformation and new Creatures in Christ Jesus and anything that can dull this experience is going to be done. Like the the terrorist it is with us and we must take them head on or they will destroy us.

As Linn says it degrades the way we think about God and gives us excuses to make the new translations ok because they are easier to understand. Lets try the U.N. For a peace treaty between translations. That is not the Problem, it is the Asking Of The Holy Spirit to teach us and show us the difference and not make it easier for us to understand the words for ourselves.

There is no greater attack than the Faith of Christ that we are birthed with, that is changed to man's faith in Christ. These new translation take the Faith of Jesus Christ in us and change it to our faith in Christ.

Galatians 2:16 KJV (King James Version)
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:16 NIV (New International Version) know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Galatians 2:20 KJV (King James Version)
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 2:20 NIV (New International Version) I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Philippians 3:9 KJV (King James Version) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

Philippians 3:9 NIV (New International Version) and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Any person would be able to see the difference if they believed they were born again and now possess the Faith of Jesus Christ and it is that faith that give us life, not my faith of myself and not of Christ, which give me death.

These are just tiny changes from of to in. But you can see the destruction of the great mystery that Paul was given to bring forth this Gospel of his given him by Christ Himself.

KJV
Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
KJV
Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
KJV
2Ti 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

Romans 2:16 TNIV (Today's New International Version) This will take place on the day when God judges everyone's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Romans 16:25 NIV (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past,

2 Timothy 2:8 TNIV (Today's New International Version) Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel,

There is a difference and it attacks our very Seed of Jesus Christ form the Father that we are born again with.

KJV
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

1 Peter 1:23 NIV (New International Version)
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

The Word of God, This is the (logos) the Devine expression of the Christ of God, Jesus Christ Himself Living and abiding forever.

This is the written word of God. (Rhema)
1 Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

1 Peter 1:25 NIV (New International Version)

but the word of the Lord stands forever."[a] And this is the word that was preached to you.

NIV Makes them both (Rhema)

And on and on it goes.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/7/22 20:40Profile
RevKerrigan

South Central Kentucky

Re:

Personally, I like the NASB best. If it was good enough for Paul, then it's good enough for me! :-)

2006/7/24 0:05Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I like the accuracy of the NASV too. I've got a big NASV study bible. Of course, you probably know of all these changes (and deletions) and dropping the title "Christ" from the texts. I stick to the KJV, and I just feel safer. I use an interlinear KJV - Greek Textus Receptus bible. Just my own personal preference. I'm not a KJV-only guy by any stretch. Just an old-fashioined holiness preacher. God bless!

Leviticus 6:21 NASV: "... as a soothing aroma to the Lord." KJV: "for a sweet savour unto the Lord." (Whoever heard of soothing a sovereign God!) The same is found in Leviticus 8:28, 17:6, and 23:18.

1 Kings 19:12 NASV: "... a sound of a gentle blowing." KJV: "... a still small voice." (In the English language, there’s a vast difference between "a gentle blowing" and "a still small voice!" I’m sure the reader will agree.)

I Kings 20:38 NASV: "... with a bandage over his eyes." KJV: "... with ashes upon his face." (In English, "ashes" and "bandage" are two different words entirely.)

Isaiah 53:10 NASV: "... If He would render Himself as a guilt offering." KJV: "... When thou Shalt make his soul an offering for sin..." (This, in our humble opinion, is a very serious perversion.)

Hosea 11:12 NASV: "... Judah is also unruly against God, Even against the Holy one who is faithful." KJV: "... but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the saints.’ (What is this but perversion!)

Matthew 12:6 NASV: "... that something greater than the temple is here." KJV: "... That in this place is one greater than the temple."

Matthew 12:42 NASV: "... behold, something greater than Solomon is here." KJV: "... behold, a greater than Solomon is here."

Matthew 19:17 NASV: "... ‘Why are you asking Me about what is good?’"

KJV: "... Why callest thou me good?"

Mark 3:5 NASV: "... and his hand was restored." KJV: "his hand was restored whole as the other. "

Mark 6:51b NASV: "... and they were greatly astonished." KJV: "... and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered."

Mark 7:16 NASV: The verse is eliminated here and is placed in the margin in very small italicised type. KJV: "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear." (This would cause the reader to doubt the accuracy or authenticity of this verse.)

Mark 9:24 NASV: "... ‘I do believe; help me in my unbelief’" KJV: "...

Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

Mark 9:46 NASV: Omitted with a marginal note referring to verse 43 which says, "Verses 44 and 46, which are identical with verse 48, are omitted by the best ancient manuscripts." (The "best ancient manuscripts" are Codex B and Codex Aleph, both of which are the worst of manuscripts with the most errors and have proved to be the most unreliable.) KJV: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 10:24 NASV: "... ‘Children how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!’" KJV: "... Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!"

Mark 11:10 NASV: "... ‘Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David’" KJV: "Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest."

Mark 11:26 NASV: Omitted entirely but placed in the margin in italics explaining that "later manuscripts add verse 26." (The later manuscripts in many cases are better by far than the earlier ones.) KJV: "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Mark 16:9-20 NASV: Gives the footnote, "Some of the oldest manuscripts omit from verse 9 through 20." (In John Burgon’s book, The Last Twelve Verses of the Gospel of Mark, he has written over 400 pages proving conclusively that this section was in the original manuscripts. Burgon’s book remains unanswered and is unanswerable.)

Luke 2:33 NASV: "And His father and mother were amazed at the things which were being said about Him." KJV: "And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things that were spoken of him." (God was the father of our Lord Jesus Christ - not Joseph!)

Luke 4:8 NASV: Omits entirely, "Get thee behind me, Satan."

Luke 4:18 NASV: Omits entirely, "he hath sent me to heal the broken-hearted." (There’s no explanation whatever.)

Luke 9:55, 56 NASV: "But He turned and rebuked them. And they went on to another village." In the margin they say "Later manuscripts add, `and said, You do not know what kind of spirit you are of. For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.’" (Again, this casts doubt on the veracity, the authenticity of this passage.)

Luke 11:2 NASV: :And He said to them, ‘When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come." KJV: "And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth."

Luke 11:29b NASV: "... but the sign of Jonah." KJV: "... but the sign of Jonas the prophet."

Luke 23:17 NASV: Omitted, but has a marginal note stating: "Some manuscripts insert verse 17, `Now he was obliged to release to them at the feast one prisoner.’" KJV: "(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)" (Again, this casts doubt on a passage in God’s Word.)

Luke 23:23b NASV: "... And their voices began to prevail," KJV: "And

the voices of them and of the chief priests prevailed"

Luke 23:42 NASV: "And he was saying, ‘Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!’" There is no explanation for leaving out "Lord, remember me" KJV: "And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom."

Luke 24:40 NASV: Omitted with a marginal note, reading, "Some manuscripts add verse 40, ‘And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.’" (This again casts doubt on such a wonderful verse.)

John 3:13b NASV: "... even the Son of Man." KJV: "... even the Son of man which is in heaven."

John 5:4 NASV: Omitted, but refers to a marginal note which says, "Many authorities insert [verse 4] wholly or in part." (This injects another doubt as to the authority and accuracy of God’s Word.)

John 5:16 NASV: "And for this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath." KJV: "And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day." (There is no reason given for omitting this phrase.)

John 6:33 NASV: "`For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.’" KJV: "For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven and giveth Life unto the world."

John 6:69 "`And we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.’" KJV: "And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God."

John 7:53 NASV: "And everyone went to his home". There is a marginal note here stating that "John 7:53-8:11 is not found in most of the old manuscripts." (This is not true. The British Museum has 73 manuscripts and 61 have this passage. Doubtless Aleph and B are referred to as "old manuscripts" and they are two of the worst as we have noted before.)

John 8:9 NASV: "And when they heard it, they began to go out one by one..." KJV: "And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one..." (No reason is given for omitting this phrase.)

John 8:59 NASV: "Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple." KJV: "Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by" (Quite a different thought.)

John 9:4 NASV: "’We must work the works of Him who sent Me...’" KJV:

"I must work the works of him that sent me..."

John 9:35b NASV: "’Do you believe in the Son of Man?’" KJV: "Dost thou believe on the Son of God?"

John 10:30 NASV: "’I and the Father are one.’" KJV: "I and my Father are one."

John 17:5 NASV: "...’glorify Thou Me together with Thyself...’" KJV:

"And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was."

Acts 8:37 NASV: Omitted with a marginal note stating, "Late manuscripts insert verse 37, ‘And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’" (Both Codex Aleph and B leave this verse out and they are two of the worst manuscripts: again this casts doubt upon another section of God’s Word.) KJV: "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Acts 9:5, 6 NASV: "And he said, ‘Who art Thou, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting, but rise, and enter the city, and it shall be told you what you must must do.’" KJV: "And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do." (Truly the translators have emasculated these two verses and give no reason at all for their omission. Again they would inject a doubt into the mind of the one who believes the Bible to be the verbally inspired Word of God.)

Acts 9:20 NASV: "and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus...." KJV:

"And straightway he preached Christ..."

Acts 10:37 NASV: "you yourselves know the thing which took place throughout all Judea, starting from Galilee, after the baptism which John proclaimed." KJV: "That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached."

Acts 15:11 NASV: "But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus in the same way as they also are." KJV: "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they."

Acts 15:34 NASV: Omitted with a marginal note "Some manuscripts add verse 34, ‘But it seemed good to Silas to remain there.’" KJV:

"Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still." (Another doubt cast on God’s Word.)

Acts 16:31 NASV: "And they said, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household’" KJV: "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." (Again they omit the name "Christ.")

Acts 20:24 NASV: The following is omitted, "But none of these things move me," and no reason is given for the omission. KJV: "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy..."

Acts 24:6, 7 NASV: Most of this has been omitted and only a weak explanation is given in the margin.

Acts 28:29 NASV: Omitted with a marginal note saying, "Some manuscripts add verse 29..." (The vast majority "add" this verse. This is still another doubt cast upon the Word of God.)

Romans 1:16 NASV: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God..." KJV: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:" (The translators seem to dislike the word "Christ" very much!)

Romans 15:19 NASV: "in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit so that from Jerusalem and round about..." KJV: "Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God..."

Romans 16:24 NASV: Omitted with a marginal note stating, "Some ancient manuscripts add verse 24, ‘The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.’" (The vast majority add this verse, not just "some".)

1 Corinthians 5:4 NASV: "In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, and I with you in spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus." (In both cases the name "Christ" is omitted with no reason given. Why do the translators of the NASV dislike the name "Christ" so much?)

1 Corinthians 5:7b NASV: "... For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed." KJV: "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us." (If Christ is not sacrificed FOR US we cannot be saved!)

1 Corinthians 6:20 NASV: "For you have been bought with a price:

therefore glorify God in your body." KJV: "For ye are brought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s." (Reasons for omitting this are inadequate.)

1 Corinthians 9:1b NASV: "... Have I not seen Jesus our Lord?" KJV:

"... Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord?" (There is no reason given for omitting the name "Christ," and again they show their dislike for the name "Christ.")

1 Corinthians 11:11b NASV: "... nor is man independent of woman." KJV:

"... neither the woman without the man, in the Lord."

1 Corinthians 11:24 NASV: "and when He had given thanks, He broke it, and said, ‘This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.’" KJV: "And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, ‘Take eat: this is my body, which is broken for you...’"

1 Corinthians 16:23 NASV: "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you." KJV: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you." (Why do they keep insisting on eliminating the name "Christ?")

2 Corinthians 5:17b NASV: "... behold, new things have come." KJV:

"... behold, all things are become new."

2 Corinthians 10:4 NASV: "for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses." KJV: "(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds.)"

2 Corinthians 11:31 NASV: "The God and Father of the Lord Jesus..." KJV: "The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (We ask in all sincerity, "Are the translators anxious to get rid of the name `Christ’ altogether?")

Galatians 2:20 NASV: "’I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.’" KJV: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me."

Galatians 6:17b NASV: "... for I bear on my body the brand-marks of Jesus." KJV: "... for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." (It seems as if they don’t like the name "Lord" either.)

Ephesians 3:14 NASV: "For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father." KJV: "For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. " (We ask in all sincerity, "Would the translators wish to get rid of the name entirely?")

Ephesians 5:9 NASV: "(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth)." KJV: "(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.)"

Colossians 1:14 NASV: "in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." KJV: "In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins." (Why omit the blood?)

Colossians 2:2b NASV: "... resulting in a true knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself." KJV: "... to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ."

Colossians 2:11b NASV: "... in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ." KJV: "... in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ."

1 Thessalonians 2:19b NASV: "... in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?" KJV: "... in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?"

1 Thessalonians 3:11 NASV: "Now may our God and Father Himself and Jesus our Lord direct our way to you." KJV: "Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you."

1 Timothy 1:1 NASV: "... and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope." KJV:

"... and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope."

1 Timothy 1:17 NASV: "... the only God, be honour and glory..." KJV:

"... the only wise God, be honour..."

1 Timothy 3:16 NASV: "... He who was revealed in the flesh." KJV: "...

God was manifest in the flesh."

1 Timothy 5:21 NASV: "I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus..." KJV: "I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ."

1 Timothy 6:1b "... that the name of God and our doctrine may not be spoken against." KJV: "... that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed."

2 Timothy 3:3b NASV: "... haters of good." KJV: "... despisers of those that are good." (Quite a difference in the meaning of the two phrases.)

2 Timothy 4:1 NASV: "I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus." KJV: "I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ..."

Titus 1:4b NASV "... from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Saviour."

KJV: "... from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour."

Philemon 6b NASV: "... which is in you for Christ’s sake." KJV: "... which is in you in Christ Jesus."

Hebrews 1:3b NASV: "... when He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high." KJV: "when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high." (Jesus Christ did it ALONE and FOR US!)

Hebrews 3:1 NASV: "Therefore, holy brethren; partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus the Apostle and High Priest of our confession." KJV: "Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession Christ Jesus."

Hebrews 7:21b "Thou art a priest forever." KJV: "Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec." (There is no explanation for the omission.)

Hebrews 10:30 NASV: "For we know Him who said, ‘Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.’" KJV: "For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord."

Hebrews 11:6b NASV: "... He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." KJV:

"he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

1 Peter 3:15 NASV: "but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts..." KJV: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts." (Is this another attempt to do away with the Deity of our Lord as in 1 Timothy 3:16?)

1 John 1:7b NASV: "... and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin." KJV: "... and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." (Let’s not stop the translators of getting rid of the name "Christ," they’re on a roll!)

1 John 2:20 NASV: "But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all know." KJV: "But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things."

1 John 3:16 NASV: "We know love by this..." KJV: "Hereby perceive we the love of God."

1 John 4:19 NASV: "We love because He first loved us." KJV: "We love him because he first loved us."

1 John 5:6, 7 NASV: The majority of both of these verses is omitted and there is no mention in the margin as to why there is an omission.

1 John 5:13b NASV: "... in order that you may know that you have eternal life." KJV: "... that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the Name of the Son of God." (No reason is given for this phrase being omitted.)

2 John 3 NASV: "Grace mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love." KJV: "Grace be with you, mercy, and peace from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love."

Jude 25 NASV: "to the only God our Saviour, through Jesus Christ our Lord..." KJV: "To the only wise God our Saviour be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." (Another attempt to remove the Deity of our Lord?)

Revelation 1:9b NASV: "... and the testimony of Jesus." KJV: "...and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Revelation 6:17 NASV: "for the great day of their wrath has come; and who is able to stand?" KJV: "For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?" (There is quite a difference between THEIR wrath and HIS wrath!)

Revelation 8:13 NASV: "... and I heard an eagle flying..." KJV: "... and I heard an angel flying..."

Revelation 15:3b NASV: "... Thou King of the nations." KJV: "... thou King of saints."

Revelation 16:7 NASV: "And I heard the altar saying..." KJV: "And I heard Another out of the Altar say..."

Christian Resource Centre www.nisbett.com

2006/7/24 0:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy