SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How important is it to have a born-again date?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: The date - idolatrous?

Mike B said:

Quote:
Perhaps rephrased might be, to recall the date?

Yes, this really is what I meant to say.

I remember from my Baptist days that HAVING a date was crucial. It was our ticket. By it we could belong to the fellowship and take part. However, I fear that over time the DATE has become just as idolatrous as the bronze serpent on the pole became to the Israelites. People rely on that cherished marker for their sense of eternal security. I do not see the "marker" requirement in scripture.

Clearly God draws our focus to the journey - to run the race with perseverance. Let’s face it, in any race the starting point is not the highlight of the event, though it is an important moment. (a discussion about false starts could be profitable)

When our penchant for dates supersedes our concerns for the journey, we do much damage to the life of the church. We leave people in the baby buggy for the rest of their lives. Then we wonder why so many don’t seem to grow up.

Quote:
I hardly knew what was taking place

Now, this is just like God, isn’t it? He is in control, not us. There is no need to analyze every “step”, no need to follow a step-by-step “recipe”, or fit the pieces neatly into a puzzle. And yet, in the confusion and uncertainty God was putting together a magnificent eternal picture. And he’s still working on it. I was blessed by your honesty.

Since Jesus has clearly told us that we can’t see the work of the Spirit – where it blows, where it comes from – then why do we keep on trying to “see the wind” – why do we need to know? Why do we keep trying to dig up that seed that is planted in the ground and try to see what is happening to it. Is there a sinful longing in our hearts that drives us to this?

Microscopes and timecharts are helpful in the field of science and medicine, but they can be deadly in the spiritual field.

Ron said:
Quote:
Man seems to be always prone to interpret all that God does as it benefits him, without concern for the desire of the Father's heart.

Ouch! You are right. We do tend to be introspective. I fear that by trying to squeeze spiritual truths into our self-centered mindsets, we end up distorting it. I wonder how much doctrinal error can be traced to this root – and that’s why we fail to see God’s bigger picture.

Thank you all for the many thoughtful responses.

PS. Perhaps at some point a discussion on the EVIDENCE of a reborn soul would be beneficial.

Diane

2006/7/11 10:35Profile

Re:

I do not believe that a particular date of salvation is important. I do not believe that by simply having a date written in the front/back of your Bible means that you are saved.

Listening to a sermon by Paul Washer, the infamous 'Shocking Youth Message Stuns Hearers,' our brother talks about a 'salvation date' misleading many supposed believers.

When you say the prayer and ask Jesus into your life, when you accept him as Lord and Saviour of your life, when you accept His forgiveness, that is not it. The prayer alone does not make your salvation certain.

[u]Matthew 7:15-20[/u] 'Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognise them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognise them.'

During this analegy that Jesus tells, He repeats several times about fruit. Each verse is basically making the same point but worded differently. This adds emphasis on the point He is making.

One of the sadest things in the church today is that people believe they are saved simply because they said a prayer when they were 17 or whatever. The truth is, you can say that prayer as many times as you like, but if there is no fruit, then you are not saved.

So, long route to my answer is this; a born again date is not important. What is important is if there is fruit in your life or not. You can say 'the prayer,' but if you then continue to sin and indulge in the world then YOU WILL NOT GET TO HEAVEN. How can you stand before Jesus Christ himself on judgement day, and say to him, 'Well I said a prayer when I was a child.' This answer is not good enough. You have to live your entire life for Him, surrendering everything to Him and living for Him alone. Remember, not everyone that says 'Lord, Lord' will get into heaven.

One powerful trick that Satan uses is getting people to keep recalling a date of when they said 'the prayer' and making them think that is enough, when really they are still living in their wicked ways.

I am not saying that salvation dates are a bad thing, it is just they are not crucial, and if you do have one, just remember that on its own, it is not a ticket into heaven.

2006/7/11 12:38

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy