Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Galatians 5:19-21

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Logic

Re:

richardf wrote:

Quote:
I believe that when you become a Christian, your flesh becomes unnatural. The flesh cries out for all kinds of wordly pleasures, and when becoming saved, you begin to go through the cleansing process and start to die to the flesh.

[b]1John 1:9[/b] [color=990000]If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to [b]cleanse us[/b] from all unrighteousness.[/color]
The cleansing process is a purging; that and to die to the flesh is a one time thing because we live in accordance with the Spirit with our minds set on what the Spirit desires.

Quote:
Born again peoples sinful nature is alive.

Please reconsider this statment. You must not think that our sinful nature is alive.
[b]Romans 6:2[/b] [color=990000] God forbid. [b]How shall we, that are dead to sin,[/b] live any longer therein?[/color]

The thing you are mixing up is the sinful nature and the flesh.
We still have our flesh but we loos our sinful nature when we are born again.

We all are born spiritually dead and therefore we are all soulish in nature, being lead by the lusts of our flesh. Our souls rule our physical bodies.
When we become born again, we become spiritually alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord([b]Rom 6:11[/b]) and no longer soulish.
Our souls, then, need to be the servant to our spirits to rule our flesh in a Godly manner. It is the soul that we battle everyday for which to be lead by, The fleash to coruption, or the spirit, life everlasting.([b]Gal 6:8[/b])
who will rule? Will it be our soulish passion to walk after the flesh to coruption, or will it be our spirit, to life in Christ Jesus which has made me free from the law of sin and death?
[b]Romans 8:4[/b] [color=990000]That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.[/color]

The reason you think that the "sinful nature" is till alive is because we are still tempted and batteling every day.

The reason we have sympathy for those temptations is that we [b]remember[/b] the pleasure of the sin and are fooled into sinning. However, when we do sin, we remember or relize that we actualy hate that sin.
Like the Children of Israel, they remembered the pleasurs of the bondage, but in reality, thay hated it.

2006/7/5 17:36Profile

Re: GAl 5:19 -21

Quote:
I believe that when you become a Christian, your flesh becomes unnatural. The flesh cries out for all kinds of wordly pleasures, and when becoming saved, you begin to go through the cleansing process and start to die to the flesh.

Richard,

I know what you're trying to say, here, but it's fuzzy language which has, by oversimplification, not improved the clarity of meaning of those verses in Romans 8. In the KJV, carnal - carnality - is used to describe our playing to the flesh rather than the Spirit.

I do think it is unhelpful to adopt such terminology as 'your flesh becomes unnatural'. God gave us flesh to experience a range of emotions and physical joys and pains, which reflect how He feels things Himself. The obsession of a man with a woman and his desire to become one with her, is a reflection of God's obsession with mankind, and His desire to become one with us, for instance.

It is far healthier to think of your flesh being brought under the control of the mind of the Spirit, than to think of it as now being unnatural to you. The latter creates a conflict which inevitably will lead to confusion. God is not the author of confusion. The body and its members all have a place and a function which please God when they are in order.... in control.... able to be controlled.

Appetite, for instance, is not sinful per se. How we feed it, and what we feed it, how often we eat and how that affects our other functions, [i]are[/i] important. 'Temperance' is a great old word, which defines a kind of moderation which neither deprives or over-indulges in an activity. When engaging in that activity, it is ok to enjoy it. But it's important to recognise when enough is enough, and discipline oneself to be content with that sufficiency.

Of course, I'm not talking about a sufficiency of sin. Certain sinful behaviour is addictive, though, at quite a deep physiological level. I'd say it's better to set out to give it a slow death and make sure it dies, than to kid on you've killed it - when the only way to believe it's dead, is to deceive yourself that's true. In the meantime, stay in close touch with God over the mortification, and be preparing for the day when you can successfully resist and have no regrets about resisting.... remembering that friendship with the world is enmity towards God (James 4:4).

2006/7/5 17:42
mamaluk

Re: Galatians 5:19-21

Quote:

"Hyperthetically, say a Christian is struggling with sexual immorality and wants to overcome it. They have prayed for deliverance but as yet, they are still struggling with it."

A preacher once said, along with prayers and submission to Scriptures, the most practical way to deal with carnal immorality is to [b]literally [/b]FLEE from it,at the first sign of temptation, RUN from it and RUN FAST.

In Genesis, Joseph ran when tempted by Potiphar's wife,
Gen 39: 12
"....and he left his garment in her hand, and [b]fled[/b]."

1 Corinthians 6:18
[b]Flee [/b]fornication.

2 Timothy 2:22
[b]Flee[/b] also youthful lusts

James 4:7
.. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Hope these are relevant.
mamaluk

2006/7/5 18:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy