SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Robert Murray McCheyne Quotes..

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Robert Murray McCheyne Quotes..

"For every look at self, take ten looks at Christ." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"A man is what he is on his knees before God, and nothing more." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"The Christian is a person who makes it easy for others to believe in God." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Study universal holiness of life. Your whole usefulness depends on this, for your sermons last but an hour or two; your life preaches all the week. If Satan can only make a covetous minister a lover of praise, of pleasure, of good eating, he has ruined your ministry. Give yourself to prayer, and get your texts, your thoughts, your words from God. Luther spent his best three hours in prayer." -Robert Murray McCheyne

2006/7/1 1:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Robert Murray McCheyne Quotes..

"I ought to pray before seeing any one. Often when I sleep long, or meet with others early, it is eleven or twelve o'clock before I begin secret prayer. This is a wretched system. It is unscriptural. Christ arose before day and went into a solitary place. David says: 'Early will I seek thee'; 'Thou shalt early hear my voice.' Family prayer loses much of its power and sweetness, and I can do no good to those who come to seek from me. The conscience feels guilty, the soul unfed, the lamp not trimmed. Then when in secret prayer the soul is often out of tune, I feel it is far better to begin with God—to see his face first, to get my soul near him before it is near another." -Robert Murray McCheyne

sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Rose early to seek God and found Him whom my soul loveth. Who would not rise early to meet such company?" -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Most of God's people are contented to be saved from the hell that is without; they are not so anxious to be saved from the hell that is within." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"It is a sure mark of grace to desire more." -Robert Murray McCheyne

sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Depend upon it, it is God's Word, not our comment upon God's Word, that saves souls." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Lord make me as holy as a pardoned sinner can be." -Robert Murray McCheyne

2006/7/1 1:17Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Unfathomable oceans of grace are in Christ for you. Dive and dive again, you will never come to the bottom of these depths. How many millions of dazzling pearls and gems are at this moment hid in the deep recesses of he ocean caves." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Our soul should be a mirror of Christ; we should reflect every feature: for every grace in Christ there should be a counterpart in us." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Every wise workman takes his tools away from the work from time to time that they may be ground and sharpened; so does the only-wise Jehovah take his ministers oftentimes away into darkness and loneliness and trouble, that he may sharpen and prepare them for harder work in his service." -Robert Murray McCheyne

2006/7/1 1:18Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"It is not the tempest, nor the earthquake, nor the fire, but the still small voice of the Spirit that carries on the glorious work of saving souls." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Even in the wildest storms the sky is not all dark; and so in the darkest dealings of God with His children, there are always some bright tokens for good." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"I am tempted to think that I am now an established Christian,—that I have overcome this or that lust so long,—that I have got into the habit of the opposite grace,—so that there is no fear; I may venture very near the temptation—nearer than other men. This is a lie of Satan. One might as well speak of gunpowder getting by habit of resisting fire, so as not to catch spark. As long as powder is wet, it resists the spark; but when it becomes dry, it is ready to explode at the first touch. As long as the Spirit dwells in my heart, He deadens me to sin, so that, if lawfully called through temptation, I may reckon upon God carrying me through. But when the Spirit leaves me, I am like dry gunpowder. Oh for a sense of this!" -Robert Murray McCheyne

2006/7/1 1:19Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Set NOT your hearts on the flowers of this world. They shall fade and die. Prize the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley. He changes not! Live nearer to Christ than to any person on this earth; so that when they are taken, you may have Him to love and lean upon." -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Mediate on these things; look and look again, until your peace be like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea - till the breathing of your soul be, Abba Father!" -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Now, believer, would you share in the great joy of the disciples? Consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus. He is above yon clouds, and above yon sky. Oh that you would stand gazing up into heaven, not with the bodily eye, but with the eye of faith! Oh, what a wonderful thing the eye of faith is! Is sees beyond the stars, it pierces to the throne of God, and there it looks on the face of Jesus making intercession for us, whom having not seen we love; in whome, though now we see Him not, yet believing, we rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory.

Oh! if you would live thus, what sweet peace would fill your bosom! And how may droppings of the Spirit would come down on your in answer to the Saviour's prayer! Oh! how your face would shine like Stephen's; and the poor, blind world would see that there is a joy which the world cannot give, and the world cannot take away- a heaven upon earth!" -Robert Murray McCheyne

2006/7/1 1:19Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Oh! Brethren, if you could die and say that Christ had never been offered to you, you would have an easier hell than you are likely to have! You must og away either rejoicing in or rejecting Christ this day; either won, or more lost than ever. There is not one of you but will feel the guilt of this Sabbath day. This sermon will meet you yet. See that ye refuse not him that speaketh: 'How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?'" -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Now our soul should be a mirror of Christ; we should reflect every feature; for every grace in Christ there should be a counterpart grace in us. The Lord give you this; then I can ask no more of you. Your times are in His hand- Psalm 31. May you have the blessing of Asher: 'As they days, so shall they strength be.'" -Robert Murray McCheyne

"Now may the blessings that are on the head of the just be on your head. Be faithful unto death, and christ will give you a crown of life; and if I never meet you again in this world, may I meet you as pillars in the house of my God, where you 'shall go no more out'." -Robert Murray McCheyne

2006/7/1 1:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

"Joy is increased by spreading it to others."

"I know well that when Christ is nearest, Satan also is busiest."

"Oh, how sweet to work for God all day, and then lie down at night beneath His smile!"

- R.M. McCheyne

2006/7/1 10:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Robert Murray McCheyne Quotes..

Had to bring this back to the fore again. So many of these have just been ingrained into the marrow since first hearing them here some 3 years ago...

Quote:
"I ought to pray before seeing any one. Often when I sleep long, or meet with others early, it is eleven or twelve o'clock before I begin secret prayer. This is a wretched system. It is unscriptural. Christ arose before day and went into a solitary place. David says: 'Early will I seek thee'; 'Thou shalt early hear my voice.' Family prayer loses much of its power and sweetness, and I can do no good to those who come to seek from me. [u]The conscience feels guilty, the soul unfed, the lamp not trimmed. Then when in secret prayer the soul is often out of tune[/u], I feel it is far better to begin with God—to see his face first, to get my soul near him before it is near another." -Robert Murray McCheyne

Especially that one, proven by those rare times of neglect or distraction ... how untterably inconcievable it is to attemp to begin another impossible day without this, without the Lords help and provision. It is a truth by way of experience.
Quote:
"Study universal holiness of life. Your whole usefulness depends on this, for your sermons last but an hour or two; your life preaches all the week. If Satan can only make a covetous minister a lover of praise, of pleasure, of good eating, he has ruined your ministry. Give yourself to prayer, and get your texts, your thoughts, your words from God. Luther spent his best three hours in prayer." -Robert Murray McCheyne

[i]Give yourself to prayer, and get your texts, your thoughts, your words from God.[/i]

An exact fit to the first one. Great quotes, greater truths.

2006/7/2 10:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy