SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Chick Tracts

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Chick Tracts

Paul,
You requested a testimony of someone who was influenced postively by a chick tract. Here is one testimony you may find interesting:
http://www.lifechangingseminars.com/Testimony.htm

This is the testimony of Rick Grubbs. He and his family were at our church Sunday night and we were blessed with his message of "Redeeming the Time."

ginnyrose

2006/7/12 19:43Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Paul,
You requested a testimony of someone who was influenced postively by a chick tract. Here is one testimony you may find interesting:
http://www.lifechangingseminars.com/Testimony.htm

ginnyrose

I could show you the testimonies of people who's lives were changed "positively" by mormonism, Catholicism, etc. Doesn't mean it's right...

I ordered a sampler box of Chick Tracks a while ago. It came with one of every tract they make. In the end, I might have found two or three (don't remember how many were in the box, but there were quite a few) that I would actually presented a biblical Gospel.

Chick tracts use "cartoon" styling to attract readers. They have a story line, and are generally very inviting. Nine times out of ten, however, the story evolves into a version of the Gospel saying "come to Jesus so you won't burn in Hell," or "Life's better with Jesus."

I myself like the Living Waters tracts. They are accurate, easy to use, and they clearly present a sinner with their sin, followed by the Gospel.

There are many innoculated believers out there, won with a false Gospel of humanism, or half-truths. I believe Chick tracts use these same tools in their attempt to "win souls". But a soul half won isn't won at all, and a believer who only comes to church to avoid having their skin singed, or so that they'll be happier in life isn't a believer at all.

2006/7/12 22:40Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I should say, however, that those two or three good tracts could be great witnessing tools. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God..." Even though I have doubts about the company that makes the tracts, there could still be some use in the good ones.

2006/7/12 22:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Frog,

Seems to me it would be to your credit to have read the link I posted before replying to my comment!

Here is a quote from the testimony that comes from this site:

"Spiritual Journey Begins

"I don't recall having much of a serious thought at all about God until one day when I was about 12. I was selling magazines for my Jr. High when I knocked on a lady's door who gave me a tract called "This was Your Life". It told the story of a man who died and went to hell. As I read it, the thought struck me that I too would die some day. I began to think on the fact that I must spend forever somewhere. I didn't get saved that day, but something definitely changed in my life. A sense of the fear of God came over me. Conviction of my sin had begun in a way that from that point on I could not completely escape." End of quote. (BTW: I know this was a Chick tract because he showed it to us Sunday night and the website has a link to the tract that got him thinking.)

Remember the original question was "has anyone benefited from any chick tracts?"

Now if any wish to discuss Chick Publications, I am certain you will find a lot to discuss with a lot of different opnions. Personally, I have been turned off by his rant against Catholics, etc. Until that is when my (now deceased) uncle related an incident which confirmed a small aspect of his rant. On the other hand a former Catholic gave me a box of Chick samples and they just sit here...unread.

ginnyrose

2006/7/13 14:18Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: A Similar Experience

ginnyrose,

When I was eight or nine, I found a copy of "This Was Your Life." I remember the dead guy in the casket, the preacher standing above him pontificating, "He was a GOOD man..." and then the Lord's voice saying, "ARISE!" That picture has never, never left me. I didn't get saved, either. In fact, I lived the next 20 years of my life in vile sin. But I never forgot that tract.

I don't agree with all Chick tracts. Like you, I wish he'd lay off all the Catholic rhetoric and just stick to Christ crucified. Mind you, I despise the RCC system as much as I despise the Watchtower and Church of Latter Day Saints, but I see no need to concoct conspiracy theories and single out any one of them. They're all modern false temples, as far as I'm concerned.

Jack Chick has some good tracts, I think. "This Was Your Life" is something you never forget. "It's the Law" is supposed to be real good, too. If I have a grievance, I suppose it's that the tracts are too expensive to buy in bulk regularly. Thanks for that testimony! It confirms what I have expected; that other people have been impacted by that particular tract too!

Brother Paul

2006/7/13 14:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Bro. Paul,

My thoughts exactly. You explained it well.

The problem I have in using ANY tracts is what if the reader would contact the publisher, get more lit from him and some are, well, off the wall and then cause this person to stumble? This is my concern when I share lit with anyone. One needs to get lit from a publisher who is consistent all the way in ALL his lit.

Some years ago I ordered tracts for our Crises Pregnancy Center. I had read some and they were good. Since these were good, I order a some others. Before I put them out, I started reading them and was I horrified! It reeked of Calvinism at its worst! I gave it to the director to proofread, warning her that I think even a Baptist (she was one) will find it objectionable. She did and they were thrown away. But we still kept the good ones. :-?

It is sad when one can produce excellent lit but then have one or two which are so bad.

ginnyrose

2006/7/13 14:54Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The problem I have in using ANY tracts is what if the reader would contact the publisher, get more lit from him and some are, well, off the wall and then cause this person to stumble?

Sister, you've brought up an excellent point...and one I've never even thought of. I've never thought about a person checking out the tract publisher's credentials. It makes perfect sense! How careful we need to be when giving out gospel literature! Just imagine someone reading a tract, coming under conviction - and then seeking out the publisher for spiritual advice. They all have their contact information on them. Never mind that the tract was well-written; what will they find when they log-on to that website? What type of articles will they find? What kind of theology is being proported? Oh, sister, a most excellent, wise point.

This makes me think twice about giving out Chick tracts. I know they work...but I'm not exactly eager to endorse all that other stuff. All the Catholic ravings. The paranoia.

This is why I'm sticking to Living Waters. I don't think there's anything on that website I'm ashamed of representing. You can't really go wrong with Ray Comfort!

Thanks again!

Brother Paul

2006/7/13 15:19Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Now if any wish to discuss Chick Publications, I am certain you will find a lot to discuss with a lot of different opnions. Personally, I have been turned off by his rant against Catholics, etc. Until that is when my (now deceased) uncle related an incident which confirmed a small aspect of his rant. On the other hand a former Catholic gave me a box of Chick samples and they just sit here...unread.

Umm, I was talking about Chick Tracts, and I don't mean to single you out by quoting you, but often times in these threads, the words of one can be a sparking point for another to continue on the general thread's topic.

2006/7/13 15:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy