SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Which audio messages contained Ravenhill reading these?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
bobmcd510

Which audio messages contained Ravenhill reading these?

Hello brothers and sisters,

This is my first post, though I visit the site all the time. Over time I've listened to some Leonard Ravenhill messages and I often jot down things I hear that catch my attention. There were 2 poems I recorded a while back that Leonard Ravenhill read (I don't know where he got them), but now I can't find the messages and I'm wondering if any of you know where they came from.. I think the first might have been an interview, but I'm not positive. The second he talked about how his friend "Warren Parker" wrote it. Anyways, here they are:

Challenge of an Atheist - unknown
"Were I a religionist did I truly, firmly, consistently believe as millions say they do, that the knowledge and practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another life, religion should be to me everything. I would cast aside earthly thoughts and feelings as less than vanity. Religion would be my first waking thought and my last image when sleep sunk me into unconsciousness. I would labor for her cause alone. I wouldn't labor for the meat that perishes nor for treasures on earth but only for a crown of glory in the heavenly regions where treasures and happiness are alike beyond the reach of time and chance. I would take thought to the morrow of eternity alone. I would esteem one soul gained to heaven worth a lifetime of suffering. There should be neither worldly prudence nor calculating circumspection in my engrossing zeal. Earthly consequences should never stay my hand or seal my lips. I would speak to the imagination, awaken the feelings, stir up the passions, arouse the fancy. Earth: its joys and its griefs should never occupy a moment of my thoughts for these are but the affairs of a portion of eternity so small that no language can express it's comparatively infinite littleness. I should strive to look but on eternity and on the immortal souls around me soon to be everlastingly miserable or everlastingly happy. I would deem all who thought only of this world, merely seeking to increase temporal happiness, and laboring to obtain temporal goods; I would deem all such as purely madmen. I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out of season. And my text should be "what should it profit a man if he should gain the whole world, and lose his own soul."

A Hundred Years From Now ~Warren Parker

It will not make much difference friend a hundred years from now,
If you live in a stately mansion or a floating river scow.
If the clothes you wear were tailor made or just pieced together somehow,
If you eat big steaks or beans and cake a hundred years from now.
It wont matter what your bank account or the make of car you drive,
For the grave will claim all your riches and fame and the things for which you strive.
There's a deadline that we all must meet, no one will show up late.
It wont matter all the places you've been each one will keep that date.
We will only have in eternity what we gave away on earth.
When we go to the grave we can only save the things of eternal worth.
What matters friend the earthly gain for which some men will bow?
For your destiny will be sealed you see, a hundred years from now.

If anyone knows which audio messages contain him reading these I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance, God bless.

Bobby

2006/6/23 16:30Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Which audio messages contained Ravenhill reading these?

Hi Bobby,

'A Hundred Years From Now' is quoted in [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4557]Choosing Rather to Suffer[/url]. What a powerful message!

In Christ,
Kire

2006/6/23 17:21Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

Awesome.. thanks Kire! It starts at 61:50 if anyone is interested. 1 down 1 to go.. anyone know where "the challenge of an atheist" is ?

2006/6/23 17:37Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Outstanding challenge. I hope someone knows which message this is from.

2006/6/24 8:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Challenge of an Atheist - unknown

this is a quote from the audio file "eternity" by Ravenhill, and he reads it from the book by william macdonald called: "True discipleship".

2006/6/24 12:04Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

Wow. Thanks so much. Do you know if in his book William MacDonald was quoting it from somewhere else? I did a little more research, and found this:

http://www.powerofgrace.org/docs/1020.html

quote:
"A tract written by an atheist dramatically changed the life of C.T. Studd, (1860-1931)and his perspective of the short time we have on this earth. It seemed to help him turn from lukewarm Christianity to being on fire for God. After reading the tract, he walked away from great financial wealth and being one of the greatest athletes in England's history, to become a missionary in China and Africa.."

..and then it goes on to quote the 'challenge of an atheist' saying that's what inspired him.

Before, I thought a Christian wrote it, sort of taking on the perspective of an atheist. I bet that atheist would've never wrote it if he knew what results it would've had! God works in wonderful ways.

Anyways, thanks again... I would've never found that. It was like searching for a needle in a hay stack :) Have a great day.

2006/6/24 13:08Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Do you know if in his book William MacDonald was quoting it from somewhere else?

Hi brother,
No, there is no such information in the book, here is what is written:
Quote:
"And, incidentally, it was an article written by an atheist that spurred Studd to all-out dedication to Christ. The article was as follows:"

There is other letter in the book written by communist to his fiancee, I will try to write it in next days.

2006/6/24 18:44Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

That would be great. Thanks :-)

2006/6/24 21:06Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I thought I was good at identifying quotes from sermons. Greg is like a machine.

I'm downloading 'Eternity' now.

2006/6/26 16:57Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Greg is like a machine.

:-)

Bobby, here is the link to the [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11175&forum=40]A Letter by a Communist[/url]

2006/6/26 17:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy