SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : To preach or not to preach?????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
mamaluk

Re:

logic,

You wife is very blessed to have you being so supportive of her.

Praise God,
mml

2006/6/23 17:52Profile
roadsign

Re: A lady preacher - called by God? Yes or no.

W_D_J_D,

You may like to check this biographical summery of [url=http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/73.html]Gladys Aylward[/url], a lady who felt called to preach.

Do you think it was a divine calling? Or was she deceived?

Diane

2006/6/25 8:13Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Diane,

Throughout history, undeniably GOD used women to preach. I heard a case where one female evangelist was preaching in a remote area, and in time, one of the tribal men stood up with his Bible when he discovered II Tim. and pointed out to her. She then happily passed her ministry back on to the men (I guess by then they became believing and learned men.)

Re-iterating from my past post, in the days of 'fallen' Israel, GOD used women to not just preach but to RULE the nation. According to one of the verses in Isaiah,HE used women to lead them as a form of judgment and oppression to the whole economy. Read also Isaiah 3, how HE described the religious women in those days, quite alarming and even parallel to our days.

For believers, GOD told us through Paul, in particular to disallow woman to teach and use authority over (authority to me, often means the WORD) man, but to be silent and to submit to man, in part it seems, there were some women acting unruly at that time, we were also told that the angels were watching over GOD's glory during the assembly of saints. Unruliness and disorder seem to chisle away that glory for HIM.

I believe especially whenever godly men(husbands) are available in any assembly, for the sake of obedience to Paul's instructions, women should take a back seat, and at least work under the headship of the husbands.

Throughout the evangelical history of China, numerous female evangelists were used, and praise GOD for that, in my mind, first, there were no knowledgeable or Christian men available, two, those settings were not assembly of saints, but of evangelization of the gosple, third, there just might be some well-intentioned females who disregarded Pual's words. As we see in our times, a lot of us,not just women,try to 'serve' God out of zealousness but not with obedience to the Word.

I hope I'm making sense, but this is what I truly belief, and how I will conduct myself in any assembly with the presence of true Christian men and my husband.

thanks for making that point,
mamaluk

2006/6/25 10:21Profile
roadsign

Re: Misuse of Authority

HmmHmm, there are a lot of issues that spring from your post, most of them apply to all God’s people. Most of them also relate to abuse of authority so I will address that issue:

Quote:
Throughout history, undeniably GOD used women to preach. I heard a case where one female evangelist was preaching in a remote area, and in time, one of the tribal men stood up with his Bible when he discovered II Tim. and pointed out to her. She then happily passed her ministry back on to the men (I guess by then they became believing and learned men.)

Oh, that we’d see this in our churches – where the “laymen” would rise up and take their God-given responsibilities. Sadly too many in authority positions never pass the baton. Perhaps this is partly the problem of having clerical status, salaries, clergy jobs etc. It’s a closed net. I wonder if this is why God so often uses women to plant churches and sew seeds (ie preach=evangelize). Perhaps they are more willing to relinquish their leadership to others.

Quote:
, in the days of 'fallen' Israel, GOD used women to not just preach but to RULE the nation. According to one of the verses in Isaiah, HE used women to lead them as a form of judgment and oppression to the whole economy.

A very observant point: God cleverly used Deborah to humiliate the king who lacked faith. I wonder if at times that is why he anoints women today for particular roles in the church.

The deepest concern that arises from your post is the sad reality that “preach” has become so closely connected with “rule” –by misuse of clergical powers over the years. So we hear phrases like, “We don’t want to get preachy”, or “Don’t preach AT me,” as if preaching is a one-sided monologue inflicted on a “victim” by someone who is dominating. This is a gross misuse of a beautiful God-given, life-giving calling: Preach. How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news! I wish to point out that preaching can never be an authoritarian function.

Quote:
Read also Isaiah 3, how HE described the religious women in those days, quite alarming and even parallel to our days.

Like leaders… like everybody else. It was a societal disaster. I think it is no different today.

Quote:
GOD told us through Paul, in particular to disallow woman to teach and use authority over (authority to me, often means the WORD) man, but to be silent and to submit to man, in part it seems, there were some women acting unruly at that time,

First, the word rendered “silent” also means in quietness, desistance from bussle or language – again a solution to the dominance and unruly problem.

“usurp authority’ in Stong’s concordance: “ act of oneself, dominate, usurp authority over.” It seems like the women in the Cor. Church were usurping authority over the appointed leaders. They were controlling. That is a temptation for everyone. It is a temptation in the way we handle our children and our husbands. The issue of abuse of authority and power is addressed to others: ex: Elders – “Do not lord it over…” Husbands (Eph. 5:25ff … Fathers.. Masters,,.. women…

Much damage has been caused by the church over the centuries because of people lording over others. Jesus himself never took a priestly position, or any kind of dominance over others. His authority came from God – and people recognized it.

When one usurps dominance over another’s spirit, they are usurping the role of the Holy Spirit. So we see countless dependant on man – trusting in man, and they never learn to trust the Spirit to be their guide – to put their trust in God. That essentially means, they never because followers of Christ.

Preaching the gospel must flow from a servant position because it must point, that is, lead one to the ultimate authority: Christ. It must also flow from the HEAD. It is not an authority in itself.

That is why in the Spirit there is no clergy or layman, no Greek or Jew, no male or female, - no rank, no separations as we see (yet must respect) in the temporal realm. Christ is the HEAD.

Diane

2006/6/26 11:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy