SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Questionable Song - Be Magnified

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Questionable Song - Be Magnified

Has anyone heard the song sung by Don Moen and/or Kent Henry?

The first verse of the song goes like this:

"I have made you too small, in my eyes
O Lord, forgive me
And I have believed in a lie
That you were unable to help me.
But now O Lord, I see my wrong
Heal my heart and show yourself strong
And in my eyes,and with my song
O Lord, be magnified
O Lord, be magnified"
Your probably wondering what my problem is in singing or hearing this song, the melody is nice, the worship is sweet, and I agree with you because I flowed with it until the LORD said to me this scripture. "The deceiver and the deceived are His". Job 12:16 (the whole chapter speaks of the magnification of Gods ways)

The part of the song that I kept stumbling over and had trouble getting over was "I have believed in a lie, that YOU were UNABLE to help me".

I thought, why isn't God able to help me, nothing is impossible with God, all things are possible.

I have been deceived, and He helped me, I believed in lies, and He brought me truth.

This is one of these songs that I had to let go in defence of what the word says.

If God can send a strong delusion so that men might believe in a lie, surely the same God can send a strong truth that men will believe in the truth.

So how can God be UNABLE to help me? Of course, if I refuse His help, but that is not what the song is saying. The song is saying, "I have believed in a lie, that You were UNABLE to help me".

How can God "Be Magnified" if He is UNABLE to help those who have believed in a lie?

What is the sense in sending preachers into the world to bring truth to those who have believed a lie when God is UNABLE to help them?

Many of you will defend the singer and the song, but I am going to stick with God and His word that nothing is impossible with God, all things are possible.

Karl

2006/6/15 10:33
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re: Questionable Song - Be Magnified

Karl,

It doesn't sound like you are asking for anyone's opinion. It seems as though you have made up your mind about this song.

Murray

2006/6/15 10:41Profile

Re:

I'm with Karl. These songs don't glorify the Lord one wit. They are written to manipulate. There is, if at all, a shallow/false piety in the singers of such songs. Many are liars who do so. #1. Worship songs aren't devises for expressing our error in our understanding of the issues. #2. Such lyrics don't apply to me and many others. Get my drift?Worship songs are sung by worshippers, not manipulaters.

Psalm 150:1-6 (KJV)
Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. [2] Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. [3] Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. [4] Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. [5] Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. [6] Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

This Psalm is set to music. Its from the old school of worship, that I miss.

:cry:rm

2006/6/15 11:31
roadsign

Re: sing with our without meaning

Quote:
And I have believed in a lie
that you were unable to help me

To me this is saying:
"I used to thnk that you were unable to help me."

Probably the song really is an admission of past unbelief. Maybe should be worded: "I never trusted you, Lord, I never believed that you could help me."

Any confession-type song is really only as good as the heart of the one who sings it.

I used to worry about selecting songs that I knew people couldn't sing with honesty. Then I realized that I'd have to ditch pretty well all Christian songs. So now, I leave personal interpretation with God. I teach good songs, and I trust that, though they may be meaningless now, some day they may take on meaning.

Diane

2006/6/15 11:44Profile
BradW

Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re: Look at the context

I totally agree with Diane about the interpretation of the lyrics.

I think that if you look at the context of the quoted verses, you'll see that the writer is aluding to his past belief. He had previously believed that God was unable to help him.

I don't agree that the lyrics are worship material. How can you glorify God by singing about being deceived???

Onward,
Brad

2006/6/15 12:34Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: I know the writer

I have met the writer of the song and she loves god and if you go to www.lynndeshazo.com
you can ask her ?

I love the song
Dom

2006/6/15 12:36Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Thats what I read too.
Looks to me that he sings thats it's a lie that God cannot help him.

Perhaps the singers have a great testimony behind this song! :)

2006/6/15 12:38Profile

Re:

Quote:

Warrior4Jah wrote:
Thats what I read too.
Looks to me that he sings thats it's a lie that God cannot help him.

Perhaps the singers have a great testimony behind this song! :)

Who cares? Or perhaps I should say: Who should care whether there is a testimony or not? This isn't the time for testimonies, is it? I hope I'm ringing some bells here.

:-(rm

2006/6/15 13:13
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

http://www.lynndeshazo.com/articles/BeMagnified.pdf
Article on the song

2006/6/15 13:14Profile

Re:

Quote:

deltadom wrote:
http://www.lynndeshazo.com/articles/BeMagnified.pdf
Article on the song

Lovely --- but it is still not for public worship, but rather private.

Orm

2006/6/15 13:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy