SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The ministry of music (or not)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nellie

Re: Rejoice

Brother,
I feel your pain, and Jesus does too.
To say that it doesn't hurt to be done this way, would not be true.
I know how you feel, for God wants me to sing, and I do Minister at the Nursing Homes.
Anyway, before our last Pastor came, I was asked to sing, but now, just certain people are allowed to sing.
It doesn't hurt as it did when it first happened.
I know that God will handle it, some way, some how.
I talked with the Pastor and he said, "Let me Touch Him" Song was only meant for a Man to sing.
God had laid this Song on my heart to sing.
God ministered to me in a mighty way through this trial.
He will make a way for you.
He is Faithful, what He has called you to do, you will do.
Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit.
God Bless you, and lead you.
Nellie

2006/6/14 11:51Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Being sensitive now

Whoops sorry there, I got the newest/oldest drop down menu wrong and was reading and earlier post and thought we were all rejoicing here. Hence my post Rejoice, which just got more and more complicated to blend sensitively. Sorry about your suffering my brother, everything Nellie says times a million.

In Christ,
Aeryck

2006/6/14 11:59Profile
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Re:

Been there brother...as the old saws go on about our shining our light in the darkness or about the red-hot ember that goes cold when withdrawn from the fire but glows brightly again when retuned to the firebox so too goes the music ministry.

We made a leadership change and have seen some rocky times and as the core of a music team we clung tightly to the Lord and His leading and have kindled the fire in those who were there for the 'show.' We lost a few along the way but they have refocused their ministry into other fields.

It bothered us YES, it was insufferable at times LORD YES!

But basking in the Light and love of the Lord allowed the Light of His Spirit and the truth of Christ to shine through us and converted the whole team to LEAD WORSHIPPERS ... So HANG in there.

Its not you, it who lives in you that matters. Keep Him raised up and you'll' drive way the darkness and shine brighter for Him in the future. The light of Christ that lives in us is to be raised within the church as well as without.

2006/6/16 10:55Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Everyone together.....?

(You don't have to answer this, I know it is just a crazy old man's thoughts, ... mine )
Has anyone ever considered making the whole church a worship team, instead of having the gaping hole between the so called worship leaders and everyone else ?

2006/6/16 11:13Profile

Re:

Quote:

aeryck wrote:
(You don't have to answer this, I know it is just a crazy old man's thoughts, ... mine )
Has anyone ever considered making the whole church a worship team, instead of having the gaping hole between the so called worship leaders and everyone else ?

I will

Many, many times. I grew up in that atmosphere and greatly miss it. We would worship for hours on any given Sunday nite -- often til midnite without any preaching. They were sweet times in the Lord as the "fire" fell and folks would break before the throne..

It's now repulsive speak to suggest any such approach to worshipping the Lord.

:-(rm

2006/6/16 12:03
NONE4ME

Chicago, IL

Re:

Ormy, I hear that.
I was just mentioning to my wife the question, who said there HAD to be a praise team. In light of what has been going on and the battle in this particular assembly I have been assisting, I think the unity of the Spirit is more important,and I would rather have a time a serious unreserved praise with people who are more concerned about touching HIM, than a skillfull singer (or singers) who are not on one accord or their hearts in another place.
Nevertheless, if there is to be a worship team, the focus must not be on them or their ability, but - as intercessors - willing to pray, willing to touch the heart of God concerning their sisters and brothers, weep at the alter, cry out in their private time, and when it is time to stand before God's people it won't be about anything else but God. They will know how to "shew forth" the praises of Him who has indeed called them out of darkness and into His marvellous light. They will be adequately equipped to show forth His holiness.
In either way God must be glorified not flesh.

Again, now I ask the readers in connection with Hiswill's plea for prayer for the service on tonight. I am working alongside this team and my expectation is only God. I know not what to expect outside of God and what the scripture says in Isa 61 and LK4:18
Thanks and please let us know you're praying. God bless.

2006/6/16 15:20Profile

Re:

Quote:

NONE4ME wrote:
Ormy, I hear that.
I was just mentioning to my wife the question, who said there HAD to be a praise team. In light of what has been going on and the battle in this particular assembly I have been assisting, I think the unity of the Spirit is more important,and I would rather have a time a serious unreserved praise with people who are more concerned about touching HIM, than a skillfull singer (or singers) who are not on one accord or their hearts in another place.
Nevertheless, if there is to be a worship team, the focus must not be on them or their ability, but - as intercessors - willing to pray, willing to touch the heart of God concerning their sisters and brothers, weep at the alter, cry out in their private time, and when it is time to stand before God's people it won't be about anything else but God. They will know how to "shew forth" the praises of Him who has indeed called them out of darkness and into His marvellous light. They will be adequately equipped to show forth His holiness.
In either way God must be glorified not flesh.

Again, now I ask the readers in connection with Hiswill's plea for prayer for the service on tonight. I am working alongside this team and my expectation is only God. I know not what to expect outside of God and what the scripture says in Isa 61 and LK4:18
Thanks and please let us know you're praying. God bless.

Amen, my Brother, I stand with you. I will pray to the end that our Father will manifest Himself in your disposition and that needed conviction will be felt/sensed by those who are outside the Spiritual mainstream of worship, desiring to go the way of the world when presenting Jesus Christ with music. The "Rolling stones",et al, have no place in this.

Orm

2006/6/16 15:28
roadsign

Re: purpose of music

Quote:
i've had many sleepless nights because of this grievance. God used me to speak to the worship team about their falsehood, but they just did not listen. i was hated by many of the artists in my church. this church was all about entertainment. they didn't give heed to God's warning now they are no more and all the people scattered.

Did I just write this?? Hit myself on the head. Oh, No I didn’t. However I can relate. Actually, I did not lose sleep, but I did have a series of dreams in which the platform was covered with a jungle of wires, and I got tangled in them while trying to do “worship”. I had a lot of similar stifling experiences – either in dream or in real life at church. Clearly, the Lord was revealing to me that the Spirit was being quenched through the music. And sadly, the pastor, being afraid of the people, and did not take me seriously. Within a year there was a scattering of all the musicians (and other members)– just as happened in your case. Clearly it was a God-ordained dispersion. However, it wasn’t all bad. Many grew closer to God after getting away from the entanglement. I did.

Quote:
but we are told to be salt, so there is the real edge, not to compromise but to keep talking about Jesus !

This is it. It’s our lives that witness far more powerfully than our music. I have learned that my music is nothing magic. The same music that leads one towards God is simply entertainment to another, and boring to another.

One day a determined atheist, who had heard me play hymn arrangements in a concert, told me with tears that my playing gave her a deep religious experience. I know that the Spirit was softening her heart. Someday, in God’s timing, she will put her trust in him.

I have come to believe that it’s not my job to change anyone. And I think that makes it a lot easier to be a music minister.

Here’s another thought: I think we can get so wrapped up in our church service, that we can forget the ministry of taking a young child on our knees and singing ‘Jesus Loves me” to him, or going to a senior’s home sharing our music there.

Quote:
I said I wouldn't sing because this was their desire, but that no longer matters...I am sent...because Christ has sent me Isa61, Luke4:18

This is the humble approach, and the better one. Just let it go. No doubt God has you there at this time for purposes besides being a minister in music. It may be, simply to allow the error to be exposed for what it is, or to quietly intercede. I may also be for you to learn something from him. And he can move you on in his time.

Diane

2006/6/16 19:37Profile
roadsign

Re: makd the people the praise team

Quote:
has anyone ever considered making the whole church a worship team,

Martin Luther did. That was significant aspect of the reformation – getting the PEOPLE to sing. Prior to that a cantor sang.

I remember many years back when a deacon would announce the hymns, and an elderly lady plunked them on the old piano, and the PEOPLE raised the roof in song.

Diane

2006/6/16 19:39Profile

Re: music ministry (or not)

Quote:
I remember many years back when a deacon would announce the hymns, and an elderly lady plunked them on the old piano, and the PEOPLE raised the roof in song.

Diane

Me too.... I'm still laughing... 8-)

2006/6/17 7:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy