SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Death to 'self'

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro O

Quote:
Pleasure?? With the things of God, I'm as serious as a heart attack. I look for accuracy as to what the message of the Bible speaks and what it requires that understanding comes about in the reader..

it seems to me the concern of the brothers is the spirit in which you seek the things of God.and this should be a corperate concern applying to all of us. it is one thing to be completely accurate but if the spirit itself is not in line with God (self aggrandizement, beating down another saint etc), then it's not a good thing. hence we have bro Paul saying that even if i give my body to be burned and have not love, i am nothing.

let us all be wary of this and seek only His glory. AMEN.

2006/6/23 21:06Profile

Re:

Quote:
it seems to me He did agonize over what was before Him because it was not going to be pleasant. He asked the Father if the cup could be taken away, but then He said not my will buy thine will be done. i'm not sure what else we can call that save for dying to self/giving up of self for the Father.

I will only comment on this to the degree I don't understand you to believe that Jesus NEVER had an argument with His "self" nature. I believe you think He did have a problem with it as we do.

"For this reason was I born", He said. So where is the argument from Him that He might even consider disobeying because that is what we are speaking of here, i.e., the possibility of Him disobeying? Oh I believe He could have because He had a freewill to do whatever He wanted but it was His love to the Father that kept in union with the Him. The scripture you give doesn't touch this. In other words there was never a question in His mind about the issue of the cross, because of His love to the Father.

Self, in Him was never something He had to overcome as it is with us and it is the love union He had with the Father that He desires of us that we be OVERCOMERS, to become as He was in His flesh. Now if you wish to say He had to protect that perfect "self" of Himself, I would agree. The Son of God within the sinless self of Jesus, the man, was the thing Satan wanted to get to.
But-----
[b]In that day the Lord of hosts will become .......
......A strength to those who repel the onslaught at the gate. Isaiah 28:5-6 (NASB-U)[/b] ... and He will with us when we embrace a love TO the Father as Jesus the man did. He gives the Holy Spirit to us for that reason....alone

The "self" of Jesus was the gate to the Son of God of Jesus, son of man.

Jesus, the man, never permitted a process of consensus of any sort with in Himself...neither should we.

Orm

2006/6/23 21:34

Re:

Whats wrong with my spirit that you are able say such things? If my words don't sit well are you sure its my spirit thats the problem?

:-(

2006/6/23 21:58
IRONMAN

Re:

bro O
what i said was not an accusation but more of a clarification of what i thought the brothers were getting at. this caused some confusion and so i apologize. also the examples of spirits one could speak in were just that, exampless of things we ought to be wary of as motivation for us to speak. however that is a genuine concern which we should all take into consideration because it can cause serious divisions and beefs.

2006/6/23 22:40Profile
IRONMAN

talking past eachother?

bro O
you said

Quote:
Oh I believe He could have because He had a freewill to do whatever He wanted .

and that's what i'm getting at, He could have but didn't because as you said:

Quote:
but it was His love to the Father that kept in union with the Him

Quote:
In other words there was never a question in His mind about the issue of the cross, because of His love to the Father.

i see what you're saying (i think) that Christ knew already what was expected of Him and there was no way around it. yet He asked the Father.

Quote:
Self, in Him was never something He had to overcome as it is with us and it is the love union He had with the Father that He desires of us that we be OVERCOMERS, to become as He was in His flesh. Now if you wish to say He had to protect that perfect "self" of Himself, I would agree. The Son of God within the sinless self of Jesus, the man, was the thing Satan wanted to get to.

Christ overcame before us: john 16

[b]31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe? 32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, F34 and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. [/b]

would overcome mean live as the Father would have us live in spite of what the world does and what we would do?

2006/6/23 22:57Profile

Re: talking past eachother?

Quote:

Christ overcame before us: john 16

31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe? 32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, F34 and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

would overcome mean live as the Father would have us live in spite of what the world does and what we would do?

He overcame the world that we wouldn't have to [b]"if"[/b] we overcome our "self". "Abide in Me, He said, that you have success, otherwise you won't and becoming a begotten son, as Me, is what success is all about".

For most of us, success is a variable and will always be until that day. His overcoming means when we fail at in our attempts we now have Him, as the intercessor, the Glorified Son of man, made complete of the Christ of God, sitting at the right hand of the Father, pleading our case.
Unfortuately many use this reasoning as an excuse to excuse themselves [i]into[/i] failure.

You asked:
Quote:

In light of my above reply to your other comment, what do you think my answer to this would be?

I ask that there be clarity of question and answer.

In Jesus,

:-)rm

2006/6/24 6:39

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy