SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Humility and Love

"Faith gets the most, love works the most, humility keeps the most."

[b]Love & Humility[/b] by Frank Bartlemen

There are two errors to be avoided - dictatorship and lawlessness. Unorganized churches frequently have a tighter ring of fellowship than those organized. Sects generally begin with an honest effort to preserve and restore some long lost truth, but they end in division. History repeats itself. No religious body has ever recovered itself after loosing its "first love". To be like Jesus is the standard that God has set for us. If Heaven is real, we should live like it, this will produce "Pentecost". The human spirit too often dominates, while love and humility are clothed in rags and sit by the wayside begging. The gentle Jesus is often pushed aside and knocked down in church meetings. Sin and the "flesh" will kill any "Pentecost". The doctor looks at the tongue first. Have you been speaking evil? Evil speaking denotes a bad heart and every radical movement for God has ultimately failed on the test of love.

We need holiness of heart. It is a vital error to substitute light for heat. "Knowledge puffeth up, but charity (love), edifieth." Read I Cor. 13 once more. Be not drawn away from "the simplicity that is in Christ." Faith gets the most, love works the most, humility keeps the most. God's vision comes to humble men. He who seeks to make footprints and do sublime things is a failure. A self-conscious poser is a loser. Let self intrude and the whole is spoiled. Excellency is proportioned to the oblivion of self. A fisher for compliments has lost God. Self-consciousness must go. We are too conscious of the other fellow, we need a God-consciousness. Humility, not infallibility, becomes fallen creatures. Infallibility is the apex of Satan's proposition to man. The deepest repentance and humility and our own frailty and weakness must be realized before we can know God's strength. Receding guns vanish out of sight after firing and so must we, for safety. WE NEED TO BE BROKEN!

2007/3/11 19:46Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride

ChrisJD,

I find it interesting that the first task the Holy Spirit set upon me upon my re-dedication to
Christ was to do an in-depth study on Pride.

And yet, to this day, I am not rid of it, only more aware of if, as if the devil takes pleasure in stirring up the old coals of pride, arrogance, vanity and self-deceit, that I might be tricked again into it.

And alas, I must repent every day of these things, not because I do not make some little progress, but that I never make enough.

Sometimes I think that the bottomless pit that Lucifer will be penned in is the extent and darkness of his own pride, for I have see that place, and it is a most bitter place of awareness.

Blessings,

2007/3/12 3:38Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

A subtle enemy!

(Thomas Reade, "On Indwelling Sin")

"I hate pride and arrogance." Proverbs 8:13

Pride is a subtle enemy.

Pride spoils all that we think, and speak, and do.

Pride is the last sin which dies, and expires only with
the life of the believer. Through his whole pilgrimage
he has to contend against spiritual pride, in all its
specious and multiplied forms.

Self love,
self seeking,
self will,
self confidence,
self righteousness,
all spring from pride!

Pride is a root of bitterness, out of which
the following vices profusely grow . . .
vainglory,
love of human applause,
seeking of honor,
independence,
rebellion,
revenge,
anger,
contempt of others,
resentment,
ambition,
presumption.

There is no end to this extensive evil,
which infects the hearts of men, and
fills the earth with misery and blood.

2007/3/12 4:59Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Thousands imagine that they are humble

(J. C. Ryle, "The Gospel of Luke" 1858)

"A dispute arose among them as to which of them
was considered to be greatest." Luke 22:24

See how firmly pride and love of preeminence
can stick to the hearts of Christian men.

The sin before us is a very old one . . .
ambition,
self esteem, and
self conceit
lie deep at the bottom of all men's hearts, and
often in the hearts where they are least suspected.

Thousands imagine that they are humble,
who cannot bear to see an equal more honored
and favored than themselves!

The quantity of envy and jealousy in the world
is a glaring proof of the prevalence of pride.

Let us live on our guard against this sore disease,
if we make any profession of serving Christ. The
harm that it has done to the Church of Christ is
far beyond calculation.

Let us learn to take pleasure in the prosperity
of others, and to be content with the lowest
place for ourselves.

2007/3/12 4:59Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Self dies!
(from Winslow's "The Nature and Source of Spiritual Life")

Self is the first citadel of the soul against
which Grace directs its battery.

Self righteousness, Self trust, Self glorifying,
must yield to the humbling, emptying power
of the Spirit.

Self must be mortally wounded before Christ
lives in us. The two sovereigns cannot reign at
the same time and upon the same throne.

Self righteousness, Self glorifying, Self seeking,
must fall when Christ enters triumphantly to
set up His kingdom, to erect His throne, and to
subjugate all the powers and faculties of the
soul to His own holy and gracious supremacy.

Oh what vigilance it demands, lest this wretched
Self in us obtain a partial, or even a momentary,
ascendancy!

The two principles; Self and Grace, are in deadly
antagonism the one to the other in the regenerate.

In proportion as Christ lives in us, Self dies!

2007/3/12 5:00Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: The humble Place

[b]The Humble Place[/b] by A.W. Tozer

I have met two classes of Christians; the proud who imagine they are humble, and the humble who are afraid they are proud! There should be another class: the self-forgetful men and women who leave the whole thing in the hands of Christ and refuse to waste any time trying to make themselves good. They will reach the goal far ahead of the rest. The truly humble person does not expect to find virtue in himself, and when he finds none he is not disappointed. He knows that any good deed he may do is the result of God's working within him. When this belief becomes so much a part of any man or woman that it operates as a kind of unconscious reflex, he or she is released from the burden of trying to live up to the opinion they hold of themselves. They can relax and count upon the Holy Spirit to fulfill the moral law within them. Let us never forget that the promises of God are made to the humble: the proud man by his pride forfeits every blessing promised to the lowly heart, and from the hand of God he need expect only justice!

2007/4/1 15:06Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Pride

THE DUTIES WHICH BECOME SOUND DOCTRINE. Titus 2:1-8

[i]But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded. In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.[/i] Titus 2:1-8

Old disciples of Christ must behave in every thing agreeably to the Christian doctrine. That the aged men be sober; not thinking that the decays of nature will justify any excess; but seeking comfort from nearer communion with God, not from any undue indulgence. Faith works by, and must be seen in love, of God for himself, and of men for God's sake. Aged persons are apt to be peevish and fretful; therefore need to be on their guard. Though there is not express Scripture for every word, or look, yet there are general rules, according to which all must be ordered. Young women must be sober and discreet; for many expose themselves to fatal temptations by what at first might be only want of discretion. The reason is added, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Failures in duties greatly reproach Christianity. Young men are apt to be eager and thoughtless, therefore must be earnestly called upon to be sober-minded: there are more young people ruined by pride than by any other sin. Every godly man's endeavour must be to stop the mouths of adversaries. Let thine own conscience answer for thine uprightness. What a glory is it for a Christian, when that mouth which would fain open itself against him, cannot find any evil in him to speak of!

—[i]Matthew Henry Concise[/i]

2007/4/4 0:06Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Knowledge puffeth ...

[i]Knowledge puffeth up; charity edifieth.[/i]

I am happy to hear of your frame of mind, and to find you communicating in simplicity everything that takes place within you. Never hesitate to write me whatever you think God requires.

It is not at all surprising that you have a sort of jealous ambition to advance in the spiritual life, and to be intimate with persons of distinction who are pious. Such things are by nature very flattering to our self-love, and it eagerly seeks them. But we should not strive to gratify such an ambition by making great progress in the religious life, and by cultivating the acquaintance of persons high in honor; our aim should be to die to the flattering delights of self-love, by becoming humble and in love with obscurity and contempt, and to have a single eye to God.

We may hear about perfection without end, and become perfectly familiar with its language, and yet be as far from its attainment as ever. Our great aim should be, to be deaf to self, to hearken to God in silence, to renounce every vanity, and to devote ourselves to solid virtue. Let us speak but little and do much, without a thought as to whether we are observed or not.

God will teach you more than the most experienced Christians, and better than all the books that the world has ever seen. And what is your object in such an eager chase after knowledge? Are you not aware that all we need is to be poor in spirit, and to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified? Knowledge puffeth up; it is only charity that can edify. (1 Cor. viii. 1.) Be content with charity, then, alone. What! is it possible that the love of God, and the abandonment of self for his sake, is only to be reached through the acquisition of so much knowledge? You have already more than you use, and need further illuminations much less than the practice of what you already know. O how deceived we are, when we suppose we are advancing, because our vain curiosity is gratified by the enlightenment of our intellect! Be humble, and expect not the gifts of God from man.

~ Fenelon

2007/4/4 0:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Man’s Pride And Christ’s Humility

[b]Man’s Pride And Christ’s Humility
From Dawn. Author Unknown.[/b]

The life and death of our Lord Jesus Christ are a standing rebuke to every form of pride to which men are liable. Note the contrast between these well-known sins and His own holy life.

Pride of birth and rank. "Is not this the carpenter's son?" (Matt. 13:55).

Pride of wealth. "The Son of man hath not where to lay His head" (Matt. 8:20).

Pride of respectability. "Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?" (John 1:46).

Pride of personal appearance. "He hath no form nor comeliness" (Isa. 53:2).

Pride of reputation. "Behold a man gluttonous and a wine bibber, a friend of publicans and sinners" (Matt. 11:19).

Pride of independence. "Many others who ministered to Him of their substance" (Luke 8:3).

Pride of learning. "How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?" (John 7:15).

Pride of superiority. "I am among you as he that serveth" (Luke 22:27). "He humbled Himself" (Phil. 2:8). "Made a curse for us" (Gal. 3:13).

Pride of success. "He came unto His own and His own received Him not" (John 1:11). "He was despised and rejected of men" (Isa. 53:3).

Pride of self-reliance. "He went down to Nazareth and was subject unto them" (Luke 2:51).

Pride of ability. "I can of mine own self do nothing" (John 5:30).

Pride of self-will. "I seek not mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me" (John 5:30).

Pride of bigotry. "Forbid him not...for he that is not against us is on our part" (Mark 9:39-40).

Pride of resentment. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=746]Revival Articles[/url]

2007/4/9 9:07Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Man’s Pride And Christ’s Humility....

Brother Mike... wow. Thank you.

2007/4/9 20:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy