SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I cannot too earnestly plead with my reader, if possibly his attention has never yet been specially directed to the want there is of humility within him or around him, to pause and ask whether he sees much of the spirit of the meek and lowly Lamb of God in those who are called by His name. Let him consider how all want of love, all indifference to the needs, the feelings, the weakness of others; all sharp and hasty judgments and utterances, so often excused under the plea of being outright and honest; all manifestations of temper and touchiness and irritation; all feelings of bitterness and estrangement,have their root in nothing but pride, that ever seeks itself, and his eyes will be opened to see how a dark, shall I not say a devilish pride, creeps in almost everywhere, the assemblies of the saints not excepted. Let him begin to ask what would be the effect, if in himself and around him, if towards fellowsaints and the world, believers were really permanently guided by the humility of Jesus; and let him say if the cry of our whole heart, night and day, ought not to be, Oh for the humility of Jesus in myself and all around me! Let him honestly fix his heart on his own lack of the humility which has been revealed in the likeness of Christ's life, and in the whole character of His redemption, and he will begin to feel as if he had never yet really known what Christ and His salvation is.

andrew murray

2007/3/7 14:03Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"May not even the habit of speaking humbly of ourselves be a snare of the devil? Would it not be safer not to speak of ourselves at all?"

[b][color=660033] If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.[/color][/b]

"Let him honestly fix his heart on his own lack of the humility which has been revealed in the likeness of Christ's life, and in the whole character of His redemption, and he will begin to feel as if he had never yet really known what Christ and His salvation is."

[b][color=660033] And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. [/color][/b]

2007/3/7 21:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Pride

"Let him consider how all want of love, all indifference to the needs, the feelings, the weakness of others; all sharp and hasty judgments and utterances, so often excused under the plea of being outright and honest; all manifestations of temper and touchiness and irritation; all feelings of bitterness and estrangement,have their root in nothing but pride, that ever seeks itself, and his eyes will be opened to see how a dark, shall I not say a devilish pride, creeps in almost everywhere, [u]the assemblies of the saints not excepted[/u]. Let him begin to ask what would be the effect, if in himself and around him, if towards fellowsaints and the world, believers were really permanently guided by the humility of Jesus; and let him say if the cry of our whole heart, night and day, ought not to be, Oh for the humility of Jesus in myself and all around me! Let him honestly fix his heart on his own lack of the humility which has been revealed in the likeness of Christ's life, and in the whole character of His redemption, and he will begin to feel as if he had never yet really known what Christ and His salvation is."

2007/3/8 0:04Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Pride is a mysterious thing - like a virus. It can go into latency, lodge in your spiritual DNA and remain undetected for a period of time. Then, like a sudden herpes outbreak, some internal change can trigger a manifestation. Ideally, these manifestations of pride should drive the patient to the Chief Physician, where He awaits with scalpel in hand to excise and consequently mortify the malignant growth. However, oftentimes, this is not the case. Pride is such an elusive malady that a person can be absolutely contaminated with it and never realize his condition. It's like suffering from chronic bad breath, or body odor - the person who has it is usually the last to find out. Everyone near him detects it, yet he himself cannot smell his own stench. A true friend would take him aside and graciously point this out before he shames himself further.

All throughout the day we get up and close to people whether we know it or not. When we align ourselves with Jesus Christ, we're automatically given breathalyzers, our hands are inspected for dirt, our hair follicles put under a microscope. We are scrutinized and sniffed and inspected with skeptical prying eyes and noses to the utmost degree. We Christians inspect each other too - especially those in teaching/preaching positions. Let our breath always be pure and minty fresh, our hands and heart clean from dirt and the bacteria of sin, the virus of pride repressed, keeping vigilant watch over our spiritual hygienic conditions, for as soon as you think you are free and clean and antiseptic, the nasty little virus will come out of latency and rear its infectious head!

Brother Paul

2007/3/8 11:28Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Assumptionpride

Quote:
A true friend would take him aside and graciously point this out before he shames himself further.

"Graciously" ... The difficulty in doing so, at least the perception. Had mentioned this to someone offline ... but the level and amount of this matter expressed by some is just staggering. It is far worse and incredibly grievous that a Christian and pride could co-exist, water and oil have a better cohesion and yet ... To even make the statement is to dump heaping coals on ones [i]own[/i] head by assumption.

I am flatly convinced that the greatest problem and cause of division and strife in these parts is due to displaced assumption. Assumption as 'fact', assumption as law, assumption upon grace, assumption upon what others are thinking beyond their words. Jumping the gun, jumping the rails, jumping to conclusions.

It is an diabolical evil that just amazes how well entrenched it really is. How much fit's into that little word, [i]assuming[/i]. It cannot be held in check long enough to 'keep your peace' and be put off, held in abeyance for other considerations (if it must be held at all). It won't wait for prayer and won't pray for waiting. Pride is the trigger that launches the volley and the ammunition of justification. It belongs to the old nature, the dead man, the old man however the terminology is applied. "Judge no man before the time" replaced with "Judge men all the time".

I don't think the residue ever truly is eradicated even in the best of saints, something to always been on guard over. It is not that difficult to be reminded when we are about everyday life, the guy who cut's us off in traffic, the homeless 'drunkard', the respectable business man, anybody at all. The sheer simplicity of not doing what we ought not to be doing is overridden by assumptionpride, might as well make it a word. That it still yet happens despite the disdain for it.

Well recall it being the staple of everything in the past ... The eye looks, the mind reacts and whatever the imagination tells it. Fact. Redundant for sure in these parts but I am fairly well certain that "casting down evil imaginations" is the greater part of this even more so than the overt and obvious 'evils' that can be lit upon. That we can be so armed and ready to preform brain surgery at a distance without even thinking of having our own lobotomies ...

Humility, humbling ourselves has got to be the one thing eluding us as disciples, which we are and which we must be if ever the truth of us being representative of Lord's own humility and humbling of Himself can be manifested into fruit that bears witness of the same.

2007/3/9 9:22Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: The Beauty of Nothing

After reading brother Mike's post and thinking of some of the days thoughts and of some other things that were posted in this thread, I thought for some reason this message would be appropriate to bring up here:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4529&commentView=itemComments]The Beauty of Nothing[/url]

Thought of this also...

"There is no proprietorship in heaven; and this is why contentment, peace, and blessedness are there. If anyone in heaven were so bold as to call anything his own, he would immediately be cast out into hell, and become an evil spirit."
- W.R. Inge

This, for us who [i]seem[/i] to have so much.

2007/3/9 18:00Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

What is man,

that thou art mindful of him?

and the son of man,

that thou visitest him?

2007/3/9 19:43Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: nothing

And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, [b]I am nothing[/b].

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth [b]no good thing[/b]

...if a man think himself to be something, [b]when he is nothing[/b], he deceiveth himself.

"You are one out of 2,000,000,000 like yourself now inhabiting this globe. And what is this globe on which you and I live? The earth is so small a part of the already known universe that if the sun were hollow, you could pour into it 1,200,000 earths like ours and still there would be room enough left for them to rattle around in it.Yes, the sun itself is very, very small in comparison with Arcturus and some of the other stars whose diameters have been recently measured, and there are now known to be more than 225,000,000 of these great worlds we call stars in this universe of ours. God, with whom you are seeking to enter into controversy, seeking to criticize and condemn, made them all. "He made the stars also" (Gen. 1:16). "0 man, who art thou that repliest against God?"

...Our increasing discoveries of the vastness of the physical universe ought to fill us with an increasing sense of [b]our own nothingness[/b] in comparison with the infinite greatness and majesty of Him who planned and made them all."

- Reuben Archer Torrey, taken from [i]Are You Criticizing God?[/i]

"Gathering all these difficulties and needs of Job together, we have the spectacle of a man whose life had been very full on this earth. He had had friends, earthly means, a home, a family, a standing amongst men, influence, and a sphere of usefulness. He was not a bad man. But now he is broken and utterly emptied, until he reaches the very bottom of himself. He is emptied of all he possessed, he is broken in spirit, broken in soul, broken in body, and brought down to the very bottom - and at the bottom he meets God on a basis of pure grace. He has learned the lesson of [b]his own nothingness[/b]."

- T. Austin Sparks, taken from [i]The Momentousness of Jesus Christ[/i]

2007/3/10 2:01Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: our nothingness

[b]Contemplating God's greatness![/b]

From Spurgeon's sermon, "Fear Not"

Lift up your eyes, behold the heavens, the work of God's
fingers-- behold the sun guided in his daily march;
go forth at midnight, and behold the heavens;
consider the stars and the moon; look upon these works of
God's hands, and if you be men of sense, and your souls are
attuned to the high music of the spheres, you will say,
"What is man that you are mindful of him?"

My God! when I survey the boundless fields of ether,
and see those ponderous orbs rolling therein,
when I consider how vast are your dominions-
so wide that an angel's wing might flap to all eternity
and never reach a boundary- I marvel that you
should look on insects so obscure as man.

I am so little that I shrink into nothingness when I behold the
Almightiness of Jehovah- so little, that the difference between the
molecule and man dwindles into nothing, when compared with
the infinite chasm between God and man.

Let your mind rove upon the great doctrines of the Godhead;
consider the existence of God from before the foundations
of the world; behold Him who is, and was, and is to come,
the Almighty.

Let your soul comprehend as much as it can of the Infinite,
and grasp as much as possible of the Eternal,
and I am sure if you have minds at all, they will shrink with awe.

The tall archangel bows himself before his Master's throne,
and we shall cast ourselves into the lowest dust when we feel
what base nothings, what insignificant specks we are when
compared with our all-adorable Creator.

[b]Labor, O soul, to know your nothingness[/b], and learn it by
contemplating God's greatness.

2007/3/10 2:08Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Humility And Death to Self

"Humility leads to perfect death. Humility means the giving up of self and the taking of the place of perfect nothingness before God."

[b]Humility And Death to Self[/b] by Andrew Murray

"He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death." -Phil.2: 8.

Humility is the path to death, because in death it gives the highest proof of its perfection. Humility is the blossom of which death to self, is the ,perfect. fruit. Jesus humbled Himself unto death, and opened the path in which we too must walk. As there was no way for Him to prove His surrender to God to the very uttermost, or to give up and rise out of our human nature to the glory of the Father but through death, so with us too. Humility must lead us to die to self: so we prove how wholly we have given ourselves up to it and to God; so alone we are freed from fallen nature, and find the path that leads to life in God, to that full birth of the new nature, of which

We have spoken of what Jesus did for His disciples when He communicated His resurrection life to them, when in the descent of the Holy Spirit He, the glorified and enthroned Meekness, actually came from heaven Himself to dwell in them. He won the power to do this through death: in its inmost nature the life He imparted was a life out of death, a life that had been surrendered to death, and been won through death. He who came to dwell in them was Himself One who had been dead and now lives for evermore. His life, His person, His presence, bears the marks of death, of being a life begotten out of death. That life in His disciples ever bears the deathmarks too; it is only as the Spirit of the death, of the dying One, dwells and works in the soul, that the power of His life can be known. The first and chief of the marks of the dying of the Lord Jesus, of the death-marks that show the true follower of Jesus, is humility. For these two reasons: Only humility leads to perfect death; Only death perfects humility. Humility and death are in their very nature one: humility is the bud; in death the fruit is ripened to perfection.

Humility leads to perfect death. Humility means the giving up of self and the taking of the place of perfect nothingness before God. Jesus humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death. In death He gave the highest, the perfect proof of having given up His will to the will of God. In death He gave up His self, with its natural reluctance to drink the cup; He gave up the life He had in union with our human nature; He died to self, and the sin that tempted Him; so, as man, He entered into the perfect life of God. If it had not been for His boundless humility, counting Himself as nothing except as a servant to do and suffer the will of God, He never would have died.

This gives us the answer to the question so often asked, and of which the meaning is so seldom clearly apprehended: How can I die to self? The death to self is not your work, it is God's work. In Christ you are dead to sin the life there is in you has gone through the process of death and resurrection; you may be sure you are indeed dead to sin. But the full manifestation of the power of this death in your disposition and conduct. depends upon the measure in which the Holy Spirit imparts the power of the death of Christ And here it is that the teaching is needed: if you would enter into full fellowship with Christ in His death, and know the full deliverance from self, humble yourself. This is your one duty. Place yourself before God in your utter helplessness; consent heartily to the fact of your impotence to slay or make alive yourself; sink down into your own nothingness, in the spirit of meek and patient and trustful surrender to God. Accept every humiliation,. look upon every fellow-man who tries or vexes you, as a means of grace to humble you. Use every opportunity of humbling' yourself before your fellow-men as a help to abide humble before God. God will accept such humbling of yourself as the proof that your whole heart desires it, as the very best prayer for it, as your preparation for His mighty work of grace, when, by the mighty strengthening of His Holy Spirit, He reveals Christ fully in you, so that He, in His form of a servant, is truly formed in you, and dwells in your heart. It is the path of humility which leads to perfect death, the full and perfect experience that we are dead in Christ.

Then follows: Only this death leads to perfect humility. Oh, beware of the mistake so many make, who would fain be humble, but are afraid to be too humble. They have so many qualifications and limitations, so many reasonings and questionings, as to what true humility is to be and to do, that they never unreservedly yield themselves to it. Beware of this. Humble yourself unto the death. It is in the death to self that humility is perfected. Be sure that at the root of all real experience of more grace, of all true advance in consecration, of all actually increasing conformity to the likeness of Jesus, there must be a deadness to self that proves itself to God and men in our dispositions and habits. It is sadly possible to speak of the death-lile and the Spirit-walk, while even the tenderest love cannot but see how much there is of self. The death to self has no surer deathmark than a humility which makes itself of no reputation, which empties out itself, and takes the form of a servant. It is possible to speak much and honestly of fellowship with a despised and rejected Jesus, and of bearing His cross, while the meek and lowly, the kind and gentle humility of the Lamb of God is not seen, is scarcely sought. The Lamb of God means to two things--meekness and death. Let us seek to receive Him in both forms. In Him they are inseparable: they must be in us too.

What a hopeless task if we had to do the work! Nature never can overcome, -nature, not even with--the help of grace. Self can never cast out self, even in the regenerate man. Praise God! the work has been done, and finished and perfected for ever. The death of Jesus, once and forever, is our death to self. And the ascension of Jesus, His entering once and for ever into the Holiest, has given us the Holy Spirit to communicate to us in power, and make our very own, the power of the death-life. As the soul, in the pursuit andpractice of humility, follows in the steps of Jesus, its consciousness of the need of something more is awakened, its desire and hope is quickened, its faith is strengthened, and it learns to look up and claim and receive that true fullness of the Spirit of Jesus, which can daily maintain His death to self and sin in its full power, and make humility the all pervading spirit of our life.(See note "C" at end of this

chapter.)

"Are ye ignorant that all we who were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death? Reckon yourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus. Present yourself unto God, as alive from the dead. " The whole self consciousness of the Christian is to be imbued and characterized by the spirit that animated the death of Christ. He has ever to present himself to God as one who has died in Christ, and in Christ is alive from the dead, bearing about in his body the dying of the Lord Jesus. His life ever bears the two-fold mark: its roots striking in true humility deep into the grave of Jesus, the death to sin and self; its head lifted up in resurrection power to the heaven where Jesus is.

Believer, claim in faith the death and the life of Jesus as thine. Enter in His grave into the rest from self and its work-the rest of God.- With Christ, who committed His spirit into the Father's hands, humble thyself and descend each- day into that perfect, helpless dependence upon God. God will raise thee up and exalt thee. Sink every morning in deep, deep nothingness into the grave of Jesus; every day the life of Jesus will be manifest inthee, Let a willing, loving, restful, happy humility be the mark that thou hast indeed claimed thy birthright-the baptism into the death of Christ. "By one offering He has perfected for ever them that are sanctified."The souls that enter into His humiliation will find in Him the power to see and count self dead, and, as those who have learned and received of Him, to walk with all lowliness and meekness, forbearing one another in love. The death-life is seen in a meekness and lowliness like that of Christ.

Note C

"To die to self, or come from under its power, is not, cannot be done, by

any active resistance we can make to it by the powers of nature. The one true way of dying to self is the way of patience, meekness, humility, and resignation to God. This is the truth and perfection of dying to self ...For if I ask you what the Lamb of God means, must you not tell me that it is and means the perfection of patience, meekness, humility, and resignation to God? Must you not therefore say that a desire and faith of these virtues is an application to Christ, is a giving up yourself to Him and the perfection of faith in Him? And then, because this inclination of your heart to sink down in patience, meekness, humility, and resignation to God, is truly giving up all that you are and all that

you have from fallen Adam, it is perfectly leaving all you have to follow Christ; it is your highest act of faith in Him. Christ is nowhere but in these virtues; when they are there, He is in His own kingdom. Let this be the Christ you follow.

"The Spirit of divine love can have no birth in any fallen creature, till it wills and chooses to be dead to all self, in a patient, humble resignation to the power and mercy of God. "I seek for all my salvation through the merits and mediation of the meek, humble, patient, suffering Lamb of God, who alone hath power to bring forth the blessed birth of these heavenly virtues in my soul. There is no possibility of salvation but in and by the birth of the meek, humble, patient, resigned Lamb of God in our souls. When the Lamb of God hath brought forth a real birth of His own meekness, humility, and full resignation to God in our souls, then it is the birthday of the Spirit of love in our souls, which, whenever we attain, will feast our souls with such peace and joy in God as will blot out the remembrance of everything that we called peace or joy before.

"This way to God is infallible. This infallibility is grounded in the twofold character of our Saviour: 1. As He is the Lamb of God, a principle of all meekness and humility in the soul; 2. As He is the Light of heaven, and blesses eternal nature, and turns it into a kingdom of heaven,-when we are willing to get rest to our souls in meek, humble resignation to God, then it is that He, as the Light of God and heaven, joyfully breaks in upon us, turns our darkness into light, and begins that kingdom of God and of love within us, which will never have an end." ---See Wholly For God. (The

whole passage deserves careful study, showing most remarkably how the continual sinking down in humility before God is, from man's side, the only way to die to self.)

2007/3/10 2:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy