SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Baptized with the Holy Ghost with the Bible evidence (utterance in tongues)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Onesimus posted:

So in closing, I would think that we should be about our great commission of preaching the Gospel and loving our God and our neighbor as ourselves, and let the Holy Spirit decide who needs and who gets what gifts. The emphasis needs to be more on Jesus Christ and Him crucified and not entirely on the Holy Spirit. Instead of coveting the gifts of the spirit from God, we often covet the gifts in another, and even to the point of jealousy, or on the other end, esteeming one person with gifts over another. All of this is counterproductive in the kingdom of God. If saints were more busy doing the word instead of talking about it, the church and the world would be a different place today.

Yours in Christ Jesus,

"0"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stever's response:

I think everyone on this thread totally agrees with your sentiments above, however this thread was generated by Linda who was concerned about this Baptism--the Baptism of the Holy Spirit that comes upon the believer that was promised by Christ and given at Pentecost.

It shouldn't take that long to go back to the beginning of this thread and read through, and then post again.

We are all trying to come beside Linda to help her make sense out of this, and to give her direction in not only how to receive this Baptism, but also how to use this power once she has received it.

God bless,

Stever :-)

2006/5/22 11:22
Freddiebear

Lockerbie, Scotland, UK

Re:

You obviously don't believe that all scripture is God breathed either.

I have only just joined this site and read back some considerable amount comments and statements.
Can I ask by what authority you dismiss Fathers Word.

I am not being or trying to be irksome, I am aware of the many fraudulent users and missusers of Fathers gifts to us through the Spirit, but you seem to have a huge problem. Perhaps if you chose to love with the unconditional love of the Saviour you would see in everyone what He sees in you. Something worth dying for even though you ( and I ) don't deserve it.

Those outside of Gods Family need your efforts to
get on your knee's and pray for them.
Those inside of the Family with whom you disagree need to be encouraged to search for the truth (Though be prepared to accept that they may be the ones that already have it, whatever camp they subscribe to.) Likewise you should pray for the heart of the Lord in order that you see what he sees.

Forgive me Brothers/Sisters but I feel that what I have read of your comments they can hardly be described as obvious fruits of the spirit:

1 Corinthians 13

If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! But when full understanding comes, these partial things will become useless.
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.
Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.

Bitterness, meanness of spirit, injustice, pride
self importance, and impatient of others are not attributes of the above passage of His Word. These fruits will destroy what the Spirit wishes to bring foward in your life.

Are you such a Holy Harvester that you can afford to take time out of doing His work in order to throw stones at you neighbours greenhouse.

I stand beside you for His sake and in His name.

(This is my reply to no single individual, but to the collective negative replies. 'The Spirit gives as He will!')

2006/5/22 13:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
Paul tells us it is ok, wonderful in fact, to covet spiritual gifts, and especially that we should prophecy. Even though Paul claimed to pray in the Spirit more than anyone, he put more emphasis on prophecy.

Only for the church did he have in mind when stating this. His private prayer and communication with the Father was a different matter as he explains in 1Cor14.4. Where would be the need/necessity to prophecy in that instance?

Quote:
So in closing, I would think that we should be about our great commission of preaching the Gospel and loving our God and our neighbor as ourselves, and let the Holy Spirit decide who needs and who gets what gifts. The emphasis needs to be more on Jesus Christ and Him crucified and not entirely on the Holy Spirit.

#1. This should never be about the Holy Ghost but our abiding in Christ.

#2. Salvation notwithstanding, the great commission is to make disciples? How does one do that without the "unction to function". That IS the great need not only for the great commandment but the great commission also. No where are we told to go and get people saved. We can't do that. We are told to go and make disciples of them that are saved. If you do this correctly, i.e., live the life of Christ, you will soon find out who is and who isn't, saved. That was the way Jesus did it and the way He said we must do it. That is why He said "don't leave Jerusalem unto you receive the PROMISE [of power] from the Father.

It could be said that the church, in this present day, left too soon.

Blessings,

:-(rm

2006/5/22 15:09
Onesimus4God

Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

RM,
Amen and thank you.

In Him,

"0"

2006/5/22 15:41Profile
Onesimus4God

Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

Thanks Stever,
How do you receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit? By asking the Father and waiting on Him until you get it, by faith in His promise through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Alleluia. It is wonderful and glorious to have your entire inner being completely consumed with His presence.

"0"

2006/5/22 15:43Profile

Re:

Quote:

Onesimus4God wrote:
Thanks Stever,
How do you receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit? By asking the Father and waiting on Him until you get it, by faith in His promise through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Alleluia. It is wonderful and glorious to have your entire inner being completely consumed with His presence.

"0"

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stever replies:

The Disciples had to wait for Pentecost, to receive this gift. However, Paul tells us that we can receive this Baptism by the laying on of hands of other Spirit Filled, Baptised in the Holy Ghost believers.

Do a "search" in the New Testament, and use the word "hands" and see what comes up. It will blow you away.

That is what Paul was concerned with, and really had no interest in water baptism. He said that he only baptised 2 or 3 people with water.

God bless,

Stever

2006/5/22 15:52

Re: to "Witness"

Stever posts:

the definition of "Witness", found in the 1828 edition of Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English language is:

WITNESS, n.

1. Testimony; attestation of a fact or event.

If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. John 5.

2. That which furnishes evidence or proof.

Laban said, this heap is a witness between me and thee this day. Genesis 31.

3. A person who knows or sees any thing; one personally present; as, he was witness; he was an eye-witness. 1 Peter 5.

4. One who sees the execution of an instrument, and subscribes it for the purpose of confirming its authenticity b his testimony.

5. One who gives testimony; as, the witnesses in court agreed in all essential facts.

With a witness, effectually; to a great degree; with great force, so as to leave some mark as a testimony behind. He struck with a witness. [Not elegant.]
WITNESS, v.t.

1. To see or know by personal presence. I witnessed the ceremonies in New York, with which the ratification of the constitution was celebrated, in 1788.

2. To attest; to give testimony to; to testify to something.

Behold, how many things they witness against thee. Mark 15.

3. To see the execution of an instrument, and subscribe it for the purpose of establishing its authenticity; as, to witness a bond or a deed.
WITNESS, v.i.

1. To bear testimony.

The men of Belial witnessed against him, even against Naboth. 1 Kings 21.

2. To give evidence.

The shew of their countenance doth witness against them. Isaiah 3.

[Previous page in the dictionary] [Next page in the dictionary]

witness is also found in 91 definitions:

abintestate
adduce
affirm
agree
attainder
attest
attestation
attesting
authority
bear
belief
bribe
petency
competent
condemn
confront
council
cross-examination
cross-examine
deponent
depose
deposing
deposition
detest
disqualify
draw
evasion
evidence
examination
examine
examiner
except
exhibit
faith
fall
false
fidelity
foulmouthed
gracious
holy
impair
improve
incapacitate
incompetency
incompetent
infamous
infamy
instance
interested
interrogate
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

God bless,

2006/5/22 16:00

Re:

Easy Stever, Witness and Martyr are of the same root meaning. With that revelation you might want to reappraise your position considering it is your total being that is to exhibit the character of the Father..

Orm........... ;-)

FWIW ... His Character is learned.

2006/5/22 17:54

Re:

Martyr is a witness who suffers death, for any cause. The cause can be for Christ, or for his Country, or other causes (you name it):

Websters 1828 Dictionary of the American Language:

M`ARTYR, n. [Gr. a witness.] One who, by his death, bears witness to the truth of the gospel. Stephen was the first christian martyr.

To be a martyr signifies only to witness the truth of Christ.

1. ONE WHO SUFFERS DEATH IN DEFENSE OF ANY CAUSE. WE SAY, A MAN DIES A MARTYR TO HIS POLITICAL PRINCIPLES OR TO THE CAUSE OF LIBERTY.
M`ARTYR, v.t. To put to death for adhering to what one believes to be the truth; to sacrifice one on account of his faith or profession.

1. To murder; to destroy.
[Previous page in the dictionary] [Next page in the dictionary]

martyr is also found in 6 definitions:

confessor
crypt
martyrdom
martyrize
protomartyr
stake

xxxxxxxxxx

God bless,

2006/5/22 20:35

Re:

Stever wrote:

Quote:
Martyr is a witness who suffers death, for any cause. The cause can be for Christ, or for his Country, or other causes (you name it)

Ok, I will. Witness-Martyr, as implied in most ALL context in the NT, has to do with dying to self; the dying to our self emotions, overcoming them that the Life Christ within can be revealed. This can only be done achieved by union with Christ and is the prime reason for the Baptism in the Holy Ghost.. His was the [b]work[/b] of the cross while ours must be the [b]way[/b] of the cross. In the sense we die daily His Life will come though to effect our relations with others. Make sense? Read your own post below in this light. I'm sure you will agree.

Read Oswald Chambers some more. He will say the same thing. Do you have his complete works?

Blessings,

Orm ..... :-)

2006/5/22 22:45

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy