SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inviting People to the church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Re: Inviting People to the church

Quote:
However if the non-believer is first converted and then introduced into the church they will be very thankfull for a family of believers and it will benifite both parties.

This is very true and takes a great deal of pressure off Christians to manipulate their non-Christian friends through the church doors, where there is no place for debate or questions (usually) and the message is not honed to their personal needs, by the Spirit's leading (and sometimes, pure common sense on the part of the believer). The person can be introduced to prayer and start reading the Bible long before they go to church, too, even if they have not made a personal commitment to Christ. This is how Brother Andrew, in God's Smuggler, came to the Lord - just laying down reading the Bible every day for two years, then deciding in a clear-headed way, to give his life to Jesus.

Sometimes, people with a church background from childhood [i]want[/i] to go to church but then they come under pressure to turn up every week and they may not be ready to give that amount of time and performance to the task, whereas they are, deep down, interested in drawing closer to God. We need to be sensitive to the heart of the matter and give our full attention to the Lord's leading in each individual's situation. And [i]love[/i] them.

2005/5/25 6:33
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re: the risk of inviting people to churchroadsign2005/5/25 7:09:07

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Austin
I think this thread links with others on 'what is a church?' etc. There are two broad 'models' for 'Christian' gatherings in the NT. The Corinthian model is a meeting where the saints have gathered to be available to God. There seems to be very little structure in this kind of meeting, but Paul does see the prospect of a 'stranger' being present in the meeting. “If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.” (1Cor. 14:23-25,) The other 'model' is the 'outreach' pattern...“But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus. And this continued by the space of two years; so that all they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.”
(Acts 19:9-10)These were 'daily' meetings where Paul 'dialogued' (the KJV gives a much more contentious feel) with all who would listen and discuss.

When I say 'model' I don't mean a blueprint but just drawing attention to the fact that there are different 'kinds' of meetings recorded in the NT. Personally I am in favour of the 'wide open to God' meeting for the saints and a more structured meeting for 'dialogue'. I think it is a kindness to 'the stranger' to put a little bit of structure around the 'dialogue' meeting. English adults now only engage in communal singing when they are drunk. Marriages and funerals often show the 'stranger' acutely embaressed at the attempt to stand and 'sing' from a book containing words which he does not believe and often does not understand.

The 'models' for evangelism in the NT are also very varied. The Athen's street market is the one we are most familiar with, but Paul 'evangelised' in synagogues, at riverside 'interdenominational' prayer meetings, and in ordinary conversation. The Greek word 'laleO' meaning to speak was sometimes used in a slightly derogatory manner to mean 'chatter' or just simply 'talk'. The word is frequently used in the NT as part of the process of 'evangelisation', as one put it 'they were gossiping the gospel'.

2005/5/25 7:36Profile
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re:2005/5/29 9:31:53
        Re:roadsign2005/5/29 14:43:56

PosterThread

Austin,

I was wondering what you make of the answers you've received from your questions here?

Quote:
I found this hard to believe how people honestly believe that they had no obligation to reach the lost.

Here I believe you are right on the nail, and if you feel a burden for bringing the lost to the Lord, you should proceed with your calling! Often those in the preacher's seat in churches, may be better at pastoring or teaching, than evangelising. I know, it's not ideal. But I want to encourage you, while you are keen, as it is always good to obey the Lord's leading. It is as you put one foot in front of the other, He will be able to move you into a more specific understanding of His purposes for you.

Churches are made up of people, some of whom will never lead the whole congregation for anything, depending on the opportunities which membership of their church provides. Not all are called to lead the flock, although I believe that every single believer has ministries which they should be encouraged to share with the body of believers. The organic flow of love through God's callings and giftings to individual members, is an important aspect of church life. This is sometimes hidden behind formal titles (depending on the type of worship or denomination) but which should not be snuffed out by the individual believer, even if he or she finds little opportunity to be stretched in the exercise of such gifts. (We are all called to exercise faith.)

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble. Seek the Lord for direction from Him. This is a safe thing to do.

2005/6/3 16:16
 Top | Parent

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy