SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Prayer and Worship TO the Holy Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Re: Prayer and Worship IN or TO the Holy Spirit?

narrowpath, you hit the problem in the "Spirit-filled" Churches right on the head.

I've seen more focus on the Holy Spirit then on Jesus. The Churches are no where near as Christocentric as they were.
I believe this is the warning that Paul gave, about when one presents "another spirit" 2Co 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Thank you for your post.

2007/6/14 19:42
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
Tears_of_joy

Re: Prayer and Worship IN or TO the Holy Spirit?

Quote:
However, my intention with this post is to try to discuss the implications and legality of worship and prayer to the Holy Spirit. David Wilkerson warned against such practise in his some of his sermons Christless Pentecost 1+2
and Christ A Stranger
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3858
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=332
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=333

Hi brother Philip, this is very good sermon!
Just to make a note that this is one sermon, not two. The second and the third are just splitted, but I think are with better quality.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3858]A Christless Pentecost! - Is Christ Becoming A Stranger In Our Midst?[/url]
(one file)

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=332]Christless Pentecost! - Is Christ Becoming A Stranger In Our Midst?[/url] - Part 1
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=333]Christless Pentecost! - Is Christ Becoming A Stranger In Our Midst?[/url] - Part 2
(the same file but splitted and with better quality)

[url=http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/1980s/ts820001.html]Text Version[/url]

2007/6/14 19:47Profile
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Prayer and worshipTO the Holy Spirit?narrowpath2007/6/14 19:59:17
        Re: Prayer and worshipTO the Holy Spirit?HomeFree892007/6/14 20:15:36
            Re:HomeFree892007/6/14 20:17:12

PosterThread

Re: Prayer and Worship TO the Holy Spirit?

ok, i have deleted what i said previously in the thought that it might not be edifying. but i will tell you, i am kind of offended by the Original posters' comment about Him, i.e, the holy spirit. i would tell you from teaching i read, and a couple of incidents i have seen with my eyes, that the spiritual world is nothing of what we perceive it to be save we have eyes to see and ears to hear in due obedience to the Holy Ghost. i feel almost this whole issue is the very reason, i myself don't see the desperate need to cry and weep everyday

2007/6/14 21:04
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re: Prayer and Worship IN or TO the Holy Spirit?narrowpath2007/6/15 20:02:22

PosterThread
dohzman

Basic purpose of the Holy Spirit

Joh 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

The Holy Spirit is prophetic in nature and points to Jesus Christ. That's just a basic plain understanding for you guys.
Jesus points to the Father, the Father honors the Son, the Holy Spirit points to Jesus. We reconize Jesus Christ as God and Lord, as such He (Jesus) brings us into a relationship with the Father but it takes the Holy Spirits help in us and toward us to accomplish this. So our great need in order to be true worshippers of God is the Holy Spirit, however we don't directly worship this third person of the trinity in the way we do the Son and the Father.

Just like the tongues issue I just know my response here has opened up a can of worms.

2007/6/14 23:12Profile
 Top | Parent

PosterThread

hi narrowpath. i have never directly talked to you, but this will be great thanks for asking.
sorry i have left you confused, don't mean to.

my friend i am not offended, maybe saddened. i just want to say He is still God. if He is God, what is the point of not wanting to pray to Him...isn't it all three that dwell in us, when we become temples of the living God, plenty of that doctrine can be gleaned from Paul's letters. so, in the same sense, what prevents my prayers being directed to the Spirit?
listen your issue is not about praying to the Spirit. may i presume to say- what you want to deal with is whether on how to distinguish of what comes from truly from the throne of the Father, and what comes from the Dark kingdom. i believe if God were to reveal my eyes to the darkness that has consumed the land, and the pit that is Hades, i would be on my knees day and night. we are way always too quick to jump to the Bible for our answers thinking really all answers are found in the Bible, when in reality the answer is not a book but a person. the Book is the veiled person, but that veil doesn't come off unless the Holy Spirit comes and takes it off for us. may be a poor explanation? how can you imagine all those in hebrews 11 worshipped God without having a supernatural experience about God? way too many instances in the Scriptures to discount such a thing so, don't you think?

2007/6/15 22:10
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re:LoveHim2007/6/16 10:46:14
        Prayer and Worship TO or IN the Spirit?narrowpath2007/6/16 12:22:25
            Re: Prayer and Worship TO or IN the Spirit?psalm12007/6/16 15:45:45

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

edit

2007/6/16 16:09Profile
 Top | Parent

PosterThread

Hi Narrowpath

Interesting and helpful thread, thank you for starting it!

Your comments about some Charismatic excesses are, sadly, only too true, as most here would agree.

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. I hate it when people pray, "Come Holy Spirit" in meetings.

He is there, and if what is going on is pleasing to Him then He will be there in a special way and move in that meeting. We don't have to ASK Him!

Two of the keys to this are Solomon's prayer at the dedecation of the Temple (2Chronicles 7) and Acts 2, Pentecost.

Solomon did NOT pray "Come Holy Spirit", or "Come Holy Fire of the Lord" or anything like that.

Yet the fire fell, and the cloud of the Presence filled the House.

Why? Because of the humble prayer of the king, and because the sacrifice was on the altar.

Maybe other reasons, but these are the main ones I noticed.

The Spirit doesn't come when we ask Him, He comes when the timing and conditions, especially our hearts, are right.

I don't think it was an accident that it says in Acts that the disciples were "with one accord in one place" when the Spirit came!

2. Thinking of the amazing [i][u]humility[/u][/i] of the Godhead, (someone has already touched on this) leads me to a place of awe and worship

The Father keeps nothing back but gives all things to the Son

The Son does nothing of Himself, but only as the Father directs, as if He was ONLY a man, not God as well as man.

The Spirit is "pure Power", yet He effaces Himself and instead glorifies Jesus (John 16:14).

He allows Himself to be sent by the Father, just as the Son does - as if He was a mere angel - like a servant of God rather than His equal.

3. I have only prayed [i]to[/i] the Holy Spirit once or twice in my life. On the first occasion there was was a specific reason for it - I needed to know who He is!

Being only a very new believer - a matter of weeks maybe - I was puzzled. For some strange reason there were two doctrines I couldn't "feel" were true. There was no intellectual problem with them, but no deep conviction of their truth, as there was of other major doctrines.

One was the virgin conception of Jesus; the other was the Personality and Deity of the Holy Spirit.

So it seemed appropriate to ask the Spirit Himself who He was, saying something like: "Lord, I know the Bible says you are a Person and you are God, but I can't "see" it, that it's true. Will you show me please?"

And He did!

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/6/16 16:21
 Top | Parent

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy