SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "replacement theology"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Re: what is replaced with what?

I realize that a new thread has been started but I am bumping this one, because I am more comfortable with the less "charged" thread heading.

In a sense I firmly believe in replacement theology: “The old has gone the new has come”. “I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me.” It is about the old man being replaced by the New: Christ – the seed promised to Abraham.

Also I believe in the replacement of the temporal with the eternal, the perishable with the imperishable, the natural with the spiritual (from 1 Cor. 15) Replacement is found in the resurrection!

But, alas, as long as this good theology is not cracked open in our hearts and consciences of man is useless, if not dangerous – merely a “theology”.

This morning the Lord led me to a verse which I believe was meant to be attached to this topic. It is all about the OUTWORKING of this replaced (exchanged) life:

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with one another and FORGIVE whatever grievances you may have against one another, FORGIVE AS THE LORD FORGAVE YOU….” Co.. 3:12

The Bible has much to say about this new life that Christ came to give. And that is the life that links us with the eternal city: the New Jerusalem. That is what Abraham could see: “For he was looking forward to the city with foundations whose architect and builder is God.” Heb. 11:10

I do not see replacement as a matter of replacing one temporal entity with another:

“You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus for all of you who were baptized with Christ have clothed yourself with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” Gal. 3:26 (!!)
There is no place for hostility between races in the replaced (exchanged)life!

Apart from that New Life Abraham's descendents dwell in the Jerusalem which is from below: “Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in SLAVERY with her children. But the Jerusalem that is from above is FREE, and she is our mother.” Gal. 4:24

Am I sinning against anyone if I regard all who are saved, whether Jew or Gentile, as part of this kingdom – and nothing else? And if God does have a special role for our Jewish friends in a future era, surely that he can take care of it. Surely we don’t need to overly strain that issue. That just seems to get us into messy quagmire and rifts. How can we know who are genetically linked to Abraham? I may very well be. And with so many proselytes having been added to Judaism over the centuries – even during Bible days, I don’t think we can easily make two distinct groups of people, apart from a lot of misfires. Why! I just read on a site where the New Jerusalem was "proven" to be the Bible Belt in the USA (Wouldn't that make Abraham groan!)

Diane

2007/3/6 11:59Profile
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re:PreachParsly2007/3/6 12:56:37
    Re:philologos2007/3/6 13:45:46
        Re:mom23beagles2007/3/7 0:54:22
            Re:philologos2007/3/7 2:03:25
    Re: 2015/10/29 17:30:00
        Re: 2015/10/29 17:44:42
            Re: 2015/10/29 17:56:20