SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : labels

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: labels

Hi all! I just got back from my first Nouthetic Counseling training seminar (actually this one focused on parenting) but still learned alot about putting off the old man and putting on the new - which actually equals total surrender.

They brought up the subject of AA and being labeled an alcoholic. The reason they disuade Christians from going to AA instead of getting true biblical counseling is because from the first day until the last day you go (which could be 10 years down the road) you are trained to say 'Hi, I am 'John', and I'm an alcoholic." Do they not believe that you can change? Do they only believe that you can keep your flesh at bay day by day? Through Christ, you can be changed from the inside out. You can learn to surrender everything, to put on the new man and walk by the Spirit.

I was an addict to a few things only 3 years ago. I am changed now and do not still call myself an addict. I use to be bullimic and had other destructive habits involving my body image- yet now I am changed - completely gutted out, renovated- and now I know I am not bulimic or anything else. I am a totally new creation because I let God break me down, tear up the old man and start over. Praise God!

I learned so many wonderful ways of explaining and expressing what it means to be "renewed in your thinking"- putting off the old man from this conference and I am looking forward to the next training sessions in October.

This is a couple of things I learned:

God wants us to be changing to be more like His Son by putting off the old man and putting on the new man as a result of [b]renewed thinking[/b].

The major battleground for lasting change is between the ears! (the mind) The mind is synonymous with the HEART in the New Testament and is to be viewed as the center of thought, understanding, belief, motives and action. So the Mind=Heart= Inner man.

When we talk about the mind being renewed, it means to be rejuvenated; to be [b]renovated[/b]. Like if you had a kitchen that had to be renovated, what would you do first? Gut it out, get rid of everything to start from scratch. This is [b]not[/b] remodeling. Remodeling is just fixing up, making it look a little better and nicer. We don't want a half way job done here. :)

Also : those people with habits: renewed thinking will lead to putting off the old man and putting on the new man. Someone cannot simply BREAK a habit; he must REPLACE it.

The Old self or man is #1 feeling oriented and motivated by lusts and desires (not only sexual by any means here)

The new self or man is #1 scripture oriented and motivated by the love of Christ.

This equals renewed thinking.

One thing they really stressed was not to focus on the "putting off" so much as the "putting on". If we focus on the "putting on", or the "more of Him" or letting Christ rule completely in us- these behaviors will replace the "old man" or you will become "less of you". If you focus on the putting off, like "I have to stop doing such and such"... it won't happen. It will only be temporal at best.- Again, you simply can't break a habit, you have to replace it!

To me this putting off the old man really just equals total and complete abndonment to Christ and letting Him renew your mind/heart.

Anyway, just thought i'd throw these out there. :-)

Anyone interested in this Nouthetic Counseling :[url=www.nanc.org]www.nanc.org[/url]

In Him, Chanin

2004/9/11 20:37Profile
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re:seekinggod2004/9/11 20:48:01
        Re:moreofHim2004/9/11 20:52:01
            Re:seekinggod2004/9/11 21:53:16

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Where does this term, "besetting sins", come from? Is that Biblical?

No its not.

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (Mat 1:21 KJV)

...all of them... Now that IS biblical.

2004/9/14 5:57Profile
 Top | Parent

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy