SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : We Need to Talk About Peace

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

Re: Peace

Brothers and Sisters,
First, let me assure you that this discussion is in no way intended to judge anyone. I am not judging any one that has served, or is currently serving in the armed forces.
My dad served during WWII going in at Normandy, and I served in Vietnam. We both gave a part of ourselves both physically and mentally, my dad shrapnel, my-self a bullet.
I will never forget the pain that was in his eyes, when one of us kids would ask him about the war, he never responded with a verbal answer.
The day I was leaving, my dad, with tears in his eyes and a broken voice said, son I fought so my sons would not have to fight now you must fight so your sons will not have to. Do you hear the futileness of such a statement?
To this day I wonder if he really believed what he was really saying to me. I was never able to discuss this with him as he passed while I was still in the service.
There are so many emotions that are stirred in a discussion about war and peace that they,
Usually, take over and scripture is set aside as we argue our points. Let us try and keep to scripture and leave out all the what- ifs that our emotions stir-up.

Myth #1 Peace comes through war.

To justify war many use the statement, just look at the Old Testament, God was a God of war and he does not change. Yes it is true, God does not change, but his ways are totally up to him.
Isaiah 55:8-11
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. [10] For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: [11] So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

The Lord God established himself in the Old Testament as the deliverer of his people.
2 Samuel 22:2
And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Acts 7:35
This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush.

Every time they tried to go it alone their enemies would prevail over them, only through His deliverance would they prevail.
In the New Testament the Lord chose to deliver all people both Jew and Gentile through His Son Jesus Christ. Search your bible and see it is not by war that he does this but through peace.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Ephes. 2:11-22
Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; [15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; [16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: [17] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. [18] For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. [19] Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; [20] And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; [21] In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: [22] In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Something we must always remember about war, it is fought to either keep or take something that belongs to this world.
Luke 11:21-23
When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: [22] But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils. [23] He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.

Matthew 6:19-21
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: [20] But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: [21] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

In Rev. 13 the beast is given power to make war against the saints and to prevail over them. Power is also given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
Dear saints beware, the one given power to prevail in war is not of God, he is only being used of God to fulfill His purpose.
The saints are warned by the Lord in Rev. 13:7-10 not to be a part of it.
Rev. 13:7-10
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. [8] And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. [9] If any man have an ear, let him hear. [10] He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

If any man have an ear to hear let him hear.
Paul says:
Romans 8:5-6
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

2 Cor. 10:3-5
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: [4] (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) [5] Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Jesus says:
John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

John 18:36
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Again I ask, what kingdom do we belong to, and who is our king?

Love and Peace to All,

pastorfrin

2007/3/7 18:22Profile
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
    Re:Tears_of_joy2007/3/7 18:41:13
    Re:Tears_of_joy2007/3/7 18:57:27
        Re:rookie2007/3/7 21:39:16
    Re:ccchhhrrriiisss2007/3/8 2:15:41
        Re: A History Lessonpastorfrin2007/3/8 16:05:57
        Re:rookie2007/3/8 23:09:28