38. And Aaron the priest went up into mount Hor, at the commandment of the Lord, and died there, in the fortieth year after the children of Israel were come out of the land of Egypt, in the first day of the fifth month.
38. Ascendit autem Aharon sacerdos in Hor montem secundum sermonem Jehovae: et mortuus est ibi anno quadragesimo ex quo egressi sunt filii Israel e terra AEgypti, mense quinto, primo die mensis.
39. And Aaron was an hundred and twenty and three years old when he died in mount Hor.
39. Erat Aharon natus centum ac viginti tres annos quando mortuus est in Hor monte.
39. And Aaron was an hundred and twenty and three years old. It is not without reason that the great age of Aaron is expressly stated, inasmuch as his life had been prolonged to an unusual period, for the good of the people. At the age of an hundred he had already exceeded the ordinary extent of life; whereas, by God's extraordinary blessing, he survived until the people were about to pass into the promised land. Hence their ingratitude was the more base in not acknowledging this paternal care of God, since it was for their advantage that He preserved so long the minister of His grace.