1. At that time the Lord said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first, and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood.
1. In tempore illo dixit mihi Jehova, Dola tibi duns tabulas lapideas similes prioribus, et ascende ad me in montem, et fac tibi arcata ligneam.
2. And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark.
2. Et scribam in tabulis verba quae erant in tabulis prioribus, quas fregisti, et pones eas in arca.
3. And I made an ark of shittim-wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand.
3. Feci igitur arcata e lignis sittim, ac dolavi duas tabulas lapideas similes prioribus: ascendique in montem habens duas tabulas in manu mea.
4. And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount, out of the midst of the fire, in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me.
4. Tunc scripsit in tabulis juxta scripturam priorem decem verba quae loquutus fuerat Jehova vobiscum in monte, e medio ignis, in die conventus: et dedit illas mihi Jehova.
5. And I turned myself, and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they be, as the Lord commanded me.
5. Conversus autem descendi e monte: posuique tabulas in arca quam feceram: et fuerunt illic, quemadmodum praeceperat mihi Jehova.
10. And I stayed in the mount, according to the first time, forty days and forty nights; and the Lord hearkened unto me at that time also, and the Lord would not destroy thee.
10. Ego autem steti in monte secundum dies priores, quadraginta dies, et quadraginta noctes: et ex-audivit me Jehova etiam hac vice, nec voluit Jehova perdere te.
11. And the Lord said unto me, Arise, take thy journey before the people, that they may go in and possess the land which I sware unto their fathers to give unto them.
11. Itaque dixit mihi Jehova, Surge, vade, proficiscendo ante populum ut ingrediantur et possideant terram quam juravi patribus eorum me daturum illis.
1. At that time the Lord said unto me He had had intercourse with the people for some time, before he returned into the mount with the second tables; and therefore he now begins to relate more fully what he had already mentioned in the inverted order of time, i.e., that he stayed in the mount forty days to make entreaty for them. And this also the repetition in the 10th verse more clearly demonstrates, where he says, that he stayed in the mount |according to the first days.| But, although he there says that he was hearkened to when he interceded in the mount, still he includes the prayers which he had previously offered when he heard of the people's revolt, and after he had broken the tables and taken away God's tabernacle, in which he prayed apart to obtain pardon for their sin. What is also here said respecting the ark is not in its proper place; for it was a part of the tabernacle, as we have elsewhere seen. It is, therefore, exacting too much to require that the things which are related together, should be referred to the same instant of time.