ST. THOMAS AQUINAS
SUMMA THEOLOGICA (Benziger Bros. edition, 1947)
Translated by Fathers of the English Dominican Province
Acknowledgment: This digital file was produced through the kindness of Sandra K. Perry, Perrysburg, Ohio.
FIRST PART (FP: QQ 1-119)
TREATISE ON SACRED DOCTRINE (Q)
THE NATURE AND EXTENT OF SACRED DOCTRINE (TEN ARTICLES)
To place our purpose within proper limits, we first endeavor to investigate the nature and extent of this sacred doctrine. Concerning this there are ten points of inquiry:
(1) Whether it is necessary?
(2) Whether it is a science?
(3) Whether it is one or many?
(4) Whether it is speculative or practical?
(5) How it is compared with other sciences?
(6) Whether it is the same as wisdom?
(7) Whether God is its subject-matter?
(8) Whether it is a matter of argument?
(9) Whether it rightly employs metaphors and similes?
(10) Whether the Sacred Scripture of this doctrine may be expounded in different senses?