Pr 7:1-27. The subject continued, by a delineation of the arts of strange women, as a caution to the unwary.
1-4. Similar calls (Pr 3:1-3; 4:10, &c.).
2. apple ... eye -- pupil of eye, a custody (Pr 4:23) of special value.
3. Bind ... fingers -- as inscriptions on rings.
5. The design of the teaching (compare Pr 2:16; 6:24).
6. For -- or, |Since,| introducing an example to illustrate the warning, which, whether a narrative or a parable, is equally pertinent.
window -- or, |opening|
looked -- literally, |watched earnestly| (Jud 5:28).
casement -- or, |lattice.|
7. simple -- as in Pr 1:4.
void of, &c. -- (Compare Pr 6:32).
8. her corner -- where she was usually found.
went ... house -- implying, perhaps, confidence in himself by his manner, as denoted in the word
went -- literally, |tread pompously.|
9. The time, twilight, ending in darkness.
black ... night -- literally, |pupil,| or, |eye,| that is, middle of night.
10. attire -- that of harlots was sometimes peculiar.
subtile -- or, |wary,| |cunning.|
11, 12. loud -- or, |noisy,| |bustling.|
stubborn -- not submissive.
without ... streets, ... corner -- (Compare 1Ti 5:13; Tit 2:5).
13-15. The preparations for a feast do not necessarily imply peculiar religious professions. The offerer retained part of the victim for a feast (Le 3:9, &c.). This feast she professes was prepared for him whom she boldly addresses as one sought specially to partake of it.
16, 17. my bed -- or, |couch,| adorned in the costliest manner.
17. bed -- a place for sleeping.
18-20. There is no fear of discovery.
20. the day appointed -- perhaps, literally, |a full moon,| that is, a fortnight's time (compare Pr 7:19).
21. caused ... yield -- or, |inclines.|
flattering -- (Compare Pr 5:3).
forced him -- by persuasion overcoming his scruples.
22. straightway -- quickly, either as ignorant of danger, or incapable of resistance.
23. Till -- He is now caught (Pr 6:26).
24. The inferential admonition is followed (Pr 7:26, 27), by a more general allegation of the evils of this vice.
26, 27. Even the mightiest fail to resist her deathly allurements.