Ps 15:1-5. Those who are fit for communion with God may be known by a conformity to His law, which is illustrated in various important particulars.
1. abide -- or, |sojourn| (compare Ps 5:4), where it means under God's protection here, as (Ps 23:6, 27:4, 6) communion.
tabernacle -- seat of the ark (2Sa 6:17), the symbol of God's presence.
holy hill -- (Compare Ps 2:6).
2. walketh -- (Compare Ps 1:1).
uprightly -- in a complete manner, as to all parts of conduct (Ge 17:1), not as to degree.
worketh -- or, |does.|
righteousness -- what is right.
in his heart -- sincerely (Pr 23:7).
3. He neither slanders nor spreads slander.
4. Love and hate are regulated by a regard to God.
sweareth ... hurt -- or what so results (compare Le 5:4).
5. (Compare Le 25:37; De 23:19, 20).
usury is derived from a verb meaning |to bite.| All gains made by the wrongful loss of others are forbidden.
taketh reward, &c. -- The innocent would not otherwise be condemned (compare Ex 23:8; De 16:19). Bribery of all sorts is denounced.
doeth these, &c. -- Such persons admitted to God's presence and favor shall never be moved (Ps 10:6; 13:5).