Open as PDF
"MAKE IT AS SURE AS YOU CAN."
I. WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO SEAL JESUS IN THE TOMB.
A. He was a threat to their life style.
1. They were ruling over the people.
2. They maintained their authority by keeping the people
in ignorance and superstition.
3. Jesus was ripping off their veneer, exposing them for
what they were.
a. Until Jesus came along people though they were
pretty holy people.
b. He called them hypocrites. whited sepulchers.
B. They had finally used their authority and with lies, deceit and
mob madness had engineered the death of Christ.
1. 50 deep was their hatred and fear they desired to seal
Christ within the tomb.
2. And Pilate said, "Make it as sure as you can."
II. THE PURE FOLLY OF THEIR ATTEMPTS.
A. They rolled a huge stone over the door.
1. Can't you see them all straining?
a. OK on the count of three.
b. Try it again now.
2. Push fellows stain, make it as sure as you can.
B. They then sealed the stone.
1. Some fellows brought up the mortar.
2. They had good mortar in those days.
a. Our attempts to pry a rock out of the aqueduct
at Caesarea built about same time.
3. Use an extra strong batch boys "make it as sure as you
C. "They set their watch."
1. The company of soldiers to guard it night and day.
2. The bravest and the strongest of the troops.
3. With their shields, spears and swords ready to ward off
any women who might try to steal the body.
4. On guard boys, flex, "make it as sure as you can."
III. THEIR TOTAL FAILURE 28:2 - 4.
A. What can the strongest mortar or the strongest stone do in the
face of a great earthquake?
B. What are the bravest or toughest soldiers in face of an angel
of the Lord.
C. Man had done his best to keep Christ in the tomb but there was
IV. STILL PEOPLE TODAY ARE TRYING TO SEAL HIM IN THE TOMB.
A. He is antagonist to their chosen life styles.
1. They desire to live by greed and to use others for
their own pleasure or gain.
2. He has taught that we should love one another as
ourselves. Not exalt ourselves not 1st on our own way.
B. They are doing their best to keep Him in the tomb, they are
making it as sure as they can.
1. With their specious arguments and illogical speeches
they try to entomb Christ again.
2. We'll explain creation of man with an evolutionary
theory. Soon all will reject the myths and fables of
C. How foolish man's attempts just about the time he thinks he has
succeeded God does some far out thing.
HE'S GOING TO RAPTURE HIS CHURCH.