Open as PDF
"LAW AND PROPHETS"
Intro: Some views toward Old Testament.
I. CHRIST RELATIONSHIP TO LAW AND PROPHETS.
A. Prophets and prophesies. "He came to fulfill."
1. 300 prophetic details of His Life completely and literally fulfilled.
a. Birth, life - death.
b. "I have come as it is written of me in the volume of the Book."
c. "Search the scriptures."
B. Law - Moral, Judicial, Ceremonial.
1. Moral 10 Commandments. He lived up to them completely.
2. Judicial (Laws to a particular nation applied for time and place.
3. Ceremonial - Sacrifices and offerings for sin.
a. Here lies understanding of cross.
b. Christ was making atonement.
c. Note - vial rent - Temple and altar destroyed.
II. BELIEVERS PRESENT RELATION TO LAW AND PROPHETS. WHOLE CANON OF OLD TESTAMENT.
A. Read and believe.
1. Some have difficulty believing only because of their limited concept of God.
B. Relationship to law.
1. Does Grace eliminate Law?
a. Grace gives power to keep law.
b. Jeremiah saw the day when God would write law on fleshly tables of
By this is meant.
2. Believers and 10 Commandments.
3. Believers and Judicial Law.
4. Believers and Ceremonial Law.
III. WHAT THE LAW CANNOT DO NEVER INTENDED TO DO.
A. Make one righteous.
B. Forgive sins.
IV. PURPOSE OF LAW.
A. Reveal sin.
B. Reveal our helplessness.
C. Lead us to Christ.
V. CHRIST IN TURN GIVES US A NEW NATURE WITH DESIRE TOWARDS HIM.
A. "Work nut your own salvation."
B. Rom.8:3,4 What the Law could not do because of weakness of flesh. Righteous of law
fulfilled by us who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit.