Open as PDF
"SERMON ON THE MOUNT"
I. WHY A STUDY IN SERMON ON THE MOUNT?
A. Most obvious feature of church today is its superficiality.
1. Compared with Acts.
2. Compared with other eras and epochs.
3. What is the cause for this?
a. Our attitude toward the Bible.
1. Our textbook, only source and final
2. Cannot rely upon experience.
b. Must be approached in right manner.
1. Not mechanical (beware of rules and
2. With open heart (never with a theory).
II. FOR WHOM WAS THIS SERMON INTENDED?
A. Many views: Social gospel - only thing that really matters in
New Testament. These are the principles of life, how men ought
to live and all we had to do is to get men to live this way and
we will have the kingdom of God.
B. Elaboration of the Mosaic Law.
1. Nothing more than proper interpretation.
C. Dispensational view.
D. Sermon was preached to His disciples. vs. 1, 2.
1. Meant for all Christians.
2. It is not live like this and you will become a
Christian, but because you are a Christian you live
E. Is not Sermon in contrast to grace?
1. Our sins forgiven only if we forgive others.
2. The man who is truly forgiven and knows it is the man
III. WHY SHOULD WE STUDY AND TRY TO LIVE BY THIS SERMON?
A. Christ died in order that I might.
B. It reveals absolute necessity of new birth.
C. The more we live and practice the more we are blessed.
D. It is the best means of evangelism.
IV. SERMON MUST BE CONSIDERED AS A WHOLE.
A. Some waiting for certain scriptures.
1. "Give to him that asketh of thee."
2. Sermon like musical composition.
3. Unless you take it as a whole cannot understand
B. Beatitudes came at beginning.
1. Until you are clear about them, go no further.
2. I never discuss this sermon with anyone who is not a
Christian. (They cannot understand.
C. General division of sermon.
1. Description of character of Christian.
a. Reaction of men towards him.
2. How he lives in a materialistic world. (5:17-48.
3. His life in the presence of God (6..
4. Warning and exhortations to Christians.