Open as PDF
"WALKING WITH GOD"
Intro: "What doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly and to love
mercy and to walk humbly with thy God?" Our text gives us the
condition necessary to walk with God "Can two walk together
except they be agreed?"
I. IT IS POSSIBLE TO WALK WITH GOD.
A. Not many discover this joy.
1. Possible to feel His presence.
a. Feel Him take your hand to guide you.
b. Feel His love surround you.
c. Feel His strength in crisis.
2. Tragic how few have had these experiences.
B. It is God's requirement for man.
1. He would not require that which could not be attained.
2. Genesis 5 one of dullest chapters yet has one of the
most exciting verses "And Enoch walked..."
II. THE BENEFITS OF WALKING WITH GOD.
1. Not walking with God is like being out of tune.
a. Your life becomes discordant.
2. When you walk with God you come into harmony with the
highest capacities of your being.
a. Since you were made for God you will never find
rest until you rest in God.
b. "Come unto me all ye that labor."
1. "Ye though I walk through the valley..."
2. I need not fear what dangers may be lurking in the dark
1. "In thy presence is fullness of joy."
1. I need no longer worry about my weakness ; He will
2. I no longer measure the task by my ability. His
Ill. THE CONDITION NECESSARY TO WALK WITH GOD, AGREEMENT.
A. "What fellowship hath light with darkness, what concord hath
Christ with belial?"
1. "If we walk in the light as He..."
2. You must share the same path. You must share the same
a. The choice of paths is not yours.
b. You must choose to walk His path.
B. How can this condition be met?
1. No gospel in this verse, just inquiry.
2. This verse could forever alienate me from God.
a. I find no meeting place in this verse.
3. The gospel begins with Jesus the ideal man.
a. In Him we can understand God's intention when
He said "let us make man..."
b. Christ the perfect example is no gospel.
c. He lived in agreement with God.
d. Jesus the master teacher is no gospel.
If Jesus had just desired to leave us a perfect example, He should never
have come down from the Mt. of transfiguration. He did come down ~ met
demonized boy then set His face like flint to go to Jerusalem to be
crucified, to rise from the dead and to ascend to the Father.
4. There is the gospel!
a. The cross is my meeting place.
b. The place where a Holy God and sinful man can
c. There is where your walk with God must begin.