Open as PDF
Intro: "Ye did run well, what did hinder you"? "Thou has left thy first love"
I. THE PROCESS OF BACKSLIDING vs. 25.
A. "When . . . thou shalt corrupt yourself."
1. Self corruption is devotion to anything lower than the highest.
2. The highest is that revelation of Jesus Christ given to us by the Spirit.
3. The first step of backsliding often takes place in a Summer Camp or in a
B. "When . . . ye shall make a graven image".
1. You say the figure of speech now breaks down men no longer make graven
2. A graven image is a thing that a man creates for himself when he has
lost fellowship with the one true God.
a. It may be knowledge.
b. It may be wealth . . . subtly by which they creep in.
c. It may be pleasure.
3. How can I know if I have made an idol?
a. Whatever I am devoting my real thinking or real
b. A minister may make an idol of his church.
C. "When . . . ye shall do that which is evil in the sight of the Lord".
1. The path away from God though so slight to begin with,
given time will lead far away.
2. Definite, open, avowed sin.
D. What is the final issue? vs. 26,27.
1. . Loss of possession.
a. Judas did not spend one coin.
b. That which you have you do not truly possess.
2. Loss of power.
3. Loss of influence.
4. Serving gods that cannot see, hear, eat or smell.
a. We become slaves of the gods we have made.
b. When our hearts are lonely & we cry for help.
no voice to answer. no eye to pity. no ear to hear our cry
c. Is there someone here that has arrived at this place of
II. "IF FROM THENCE THOU SHALT, SEEK THE LORD THY GOD, THOU SHALT FIND HIM."
A. No matter how far the distance may seem God is as near as your breath.
B. Notice what we are to seek. "The Lord thy God."
1. Not the lost possessions.
2. Not the lost power.
3. Not the lost influence.
4. Search for God turn back to Him.
C. If you have strayed far from God, the path back may not be an easy one.
1. Put blood & passion into it . "Seek Him with all your heart and soul".
III. "THOU SHALT FIND HIM."
A. This is certain because it is you who changed, not Him.
1. It is you who ran.
2. It is you who tried to hide.
3. Scripture always speaks of men being reconciled to God.
4. You say - I am in a strange country I am in a desert pIace.
B. Finding Him you will find all things restored.
1. The land will be repossessed.
a. Jimmy Renolds & a Nasturtium leaf.
2. Loss power and influence.
C. A God who lives, sees, breathes, lives and caresses.