Open as PDF
"THE LAW OF THE LORD"
Intro: "For the law came by Moses..."
I. THE OCCASION OF THE GIVING OF THE LAW.
A. Chapter 19: 3 - 8.
1. God reminds house of Jacob of what he did for them.
a. "I bare you on eagles wings."
b. "I brought you to myself."
2. What God promised to do.
a. "Make them a peculiar treasure unto God among all people."
b. They were to be a kingdom of priests.
c. A holy nation.
3. The conditions.
a. Obey my voice.
b. Keep my covenant.
B. The people's response, "All that the Lord hath spoken we will do."
1. The law given in response to their agreeing to God's terms.
2. These are the conditions whereby they may be the most blessed people
upon the earth.
II. THE LAW.
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
a. Does not speak of precedence.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image or likeness of heavenly or earthly
things to bow down to them. (Make, worship, serve.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor thy father and mother.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness.
10. Thou shalt not covet.
III. THE PURPOSE OF THE GIVING OF THE LAW.
A. "God has come to prove you."
1. You promised obedience.
2. Keep these rules they will lead you into a happy, full, prosperous life.
B. "That His "fear" may be before your faces."
1. "Fear" is godly reverential awe.
C. "That ye sin not."
1. Root word for sin, "Missing the mark."
a. God doesn't want you to miss the mark.
b. He wants you to hit the mark.
IV. WHAT WENT WRONG?
A. "All have sinned and come short."
1. There is none righteous, no not one.
B. The law is holy, righteous and good.
1. It is not an instrument to make me righteous.
2. Only to show me righteousness.
3. Once - violated it could only condemn.
C. The law also suffered the interpretations by man.
1. A 62 volume set of books to interpret the law.
2. What constitutes bearing a burden?
3. Man by his interpretations and traditions destroyed the meaning
a. Jesus said, "Ye have heard..." "but I say."
Was the purpose of the coming of Christ and grace through Him to make it possible for
you to live however you wanted yet still know fellowship with God? Can you still walk
with God and constantly miss the mark?