Open as PDF
"THE PASSOVER LAMB"
Intro: The demand to Pharaoh, the plagues his hardened heart.
I. THE FINAL PLAGUE, DEATH OF THE FIRSTBORN.
A. On the night of April 14th, God was going to pass through the land of Egypt.
1. The destroyer, often called the death angel, was to slay the firstborn of
2. For the households of the children of Israel to be spared, they must
prepare Passover lamb.
B. The Passover lamb.
1. It was to be chosen out of the flock on the 10th of the month, and kept
2. One lamb for each household unless household too small.
3. Lamb to be without blemish, a male of the first year.
4. Lamb to be slain evening of the 14th.
5. Blood to be caught in basin, then sprinkled with hyssop bush on the two
side posts and upper door post of house.
6. The lamb was to be roasted over a fire and eaten entirely by the family
a. Eaten with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
C. The purpose of the blood on the door.
1. A sign or token that the lamb had been slain.
2. "When I see the blood, I will pass over you."
3. The lamb's death was substitutionary.
a. It took the place of the firstborn child.
D. The Passover feast.
1. A re-enactment of that dinner annually.
2. An annual reminder of God's sparing the life of the firstborn by
the death of the lamb.
3. For children's sake.
III. CHRIST OUR PASSOVER LAMB.
A. Introduced by John the Baptist, "Behold, the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins
of the world."
1. Because of sin we were condemned by God to die.
a. "The soul that sinneth, it shall surely die."
b. "The wages of sin is death."
2. Jesus became our substitutionary lamb.
3. By His death, He took away my sin.
4. There must be the application of the blood for each life.
a. I can hear the skeptics in Israel arguing.
1. "How can the blood on the door post do anything?"
b. Obedience of faith, experience follows.
B. Peter declares, "We are redeemed not with corruptible things such as silver
C. Paul said, "For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us."
D. John's first view of Jesus in heaven, he sees Him as a Lamb that had been slain.
1. God provided a way of life from certain death.
2. The way was by a substitutionary death.
3. The blood applied to the door of the house was the mark of the compliance
to God's way.
4. God has provided you a way of life from certain death.
5. For the blood of Jesus Christ God's Son cleanseth a man from all sin.