Open as PDF
Why Study the Feasts?
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. (Mat 5:17 KJV)
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (Rom 15:4 KJV)
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. (Gal 3: 24-25 KJV)
We know that the former things were given to us to teach us. The Bible is the whole Word of God.
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Col 2: 16-17 KJV)
The feasts are prophetic in their nature of both Christ's first coming and his Second Coming, as we shall see.
REMEMBER! The New Testament is concealed in the Old Testament and the Old Testament is revealed in the New Testament.
The Feast days are in Num. 23; Num 28 - 29; Deut. 16 and Lev. 23.
These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. (Lev 23:4 KJV)
God set the feast times for a prophetic purpose.
"Feast is "Mow'ed" or an appointed time.
"Holy Convocation" is "Migraw" or a "rehearsal"
The Jews were called together at the appointed times by God to "rehearse" their ultimate salvation which was to be the only begotten Son of God. Note also that the months were 360 day months that only changed in 701BC.
THE ORDER OF THE FEASTS
The Spring Feasts.
Passover 14th Nisan
Feast of Unleavened Bread 15th Nisan
Feast of Firstfruits On the morrow after the sabbath
+49 days: Feast of Weeks (Shavout) Sivan
The Fall Feasts
Feast of Trumpets (Yom Teruah) 1 Tishri
Day of Atonement (Yom Kipper) 9 -10 Tishri
Feast of Tabernacles (Succoth) 15th Tishri
The two calendars:
And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,
This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you. (Exo 12:1-2 KJV)
Months Civil (old) Religious (New)
Tishri (Ethanim) 1 7
Cheshvan (Bul) 2 8
Chisleu 3 9
Tevet 4 10
Sh'vat 5 11
Adar 6 12
Nisan (Aviv) 7 1
IIyar (Zif) 8 2
Sivan 9 3
Tammuz 10 4
Av 11 5
Elul 12 6
All the months were 30 days prior to 701 BC giving a 360 day sidereal year.
India Veda texts assume 360 day years
Persia 360 day years. 7th Century BC 5 days added
Chaldea 360 day year, (360 degree circle: 60 min/hr, 60 sec./min.)
Assyria 360 day year, Decade = 3600 days
Egypt 12 30 day months, 5 days added after 7th Cent. BC
360 gods in the theology of the Greek Orpheus
360 Idols in the palace of Dairi in Japan
360 statues surrounding the Hobal in Ancient Arabia
360 icons in the gnostic gneii
360 degrees in a circle
All early calendars were on a 360 day basis.
2nd king of Rome, Numa Pompilius, reorganizes the 360 day calendar in 364BC adding 5 days.
Hezekiah adds 1 month every 6 years.
All ancient calendars changed after 701 BC, ie the Egyptians, Hebrews, Greeks, Phoenicians, Chinese, Mayan, Hindus, Carthaginians, Etruscans, Tuetons, etc. etc.
The Calendar as we know it is a very recent phenomena, most early calendars began in March and some began in October. It wasn't until the 1500's that January was installed as the first month.
Why the change? Only a change in the orbit of the earth would account for a massive change in the calendars of the ancients.
Immanual Veilikovsky thought Venus was a comet captured by the sun and swept Mars off orbit to glance past earth. There is much speculation about a planet the once orbited between Mars and is now rubble (the asteroid belt). Some the asteroids that have struck the earth as iron nickel meteorites have a crystalline structure the evidenced being in the molten core of a planet under pressure and the pressure be suddenly released.
What catastrophe could have caused a planet to tear apart?
Mars exhibits evidences of vast floods on its' surface and immense volcanism. The moon of the earth shows a battered face to us that happened relatively recently. The moons of Mars are almost nothing more than uneven fragments blackened and charred from some ancient catastrophe.
The Martian Moons.
Phobos, 8 miles in diameter, 3% albedo (darkest object in Solar System) rises in the west. Rotates 7h39m.
Demos, 12 miles? diameter, Rotates 30h18m, almost synchronous, rises in east.
Discovered in 1877 by Asaph Hall
Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745 ) published Gulliver's Travels in 1726 and details the size, Albedo, revolutions and orbits of two moons of Mars, 151 years before their discovery.
Many cultures feared and worshipped Mars, as God of War, Baal etc.. Why? Mars today is a very faint speck in the sky and certainly has no commanding presence.
Patton et. al
Computer program showing Mars could have passed close to earth at least 7 times and up to 13 times before orbit stabilized on a 54 year or multiple of schedule.
Summary of Catastrophes
Oct. 2146 Peleg
Oct. 1930 Tower of Babel
Mar. 1877 Sodom and Gomorrah
Mar. 1663 Job 120,000 miles
Mar. 1447 Exodus plagues 60,000 miles
Oct. 1404 Long Day of Joshua 70,000 miles
Oct. 1188 Deborah 150,000 miles
Oct. 1080 Samuel 150,000 miles
Mar. 1025 David 200,000 miles
Oct. 972 David 120,000 miles
Oct. 864 Elijah 150,000 miles
Oct. 756 Joel - Amos 120,000 miles
Mar. 701 Isaiah 70,000 miles
And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan. (Gen. 10:25 KJV)
Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth. (Gen. 11:9 KJV)
Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; (Gen. 19:24 KJV)
For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth. (Exo 9:14 KJV)
And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.
Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. (Josh 10:11-12 KJV)
They fought from heaven; the stars in their courses fought against Sisera. (Judg 5:20 KJV) Deborah's song.
Passover 14th Nisan
Commemorates the deliverance from Egypt.
(Exo 12:1-14 KJV)
And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,
2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.
3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:
4 And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbor next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb.
5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.
8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
9 Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.
10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.
11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD'S Passover.
12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.
13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
The reference to Passover is also found in:
(Lev 23:5 -6 KJV)
In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's Passover.
6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
God predicted the deliverance from Egypt 430 years earlier to the day in Genesis 15:13-16
In Exodus 4:21-23 Israel is called "my firstborn"
What do the Exodus verses tell us about Jesus "The Lamb of God"?
1. On the 10th of the month each household is to choose a lamb from the flock that is without blemish and observe it until the 14th.
Jesus triumphal entry was on the 10th of the month. John 12:1 - 12. Many confrontations with the Pharisees and the Sadducees occur, with the 2nd cleansing of the temple and the Olivet discourse etc. He was "observed".
This entry also ended another prophetic calendar in Daniel 9:25 - 26 or the 69 weeks of years from the decree to rebuild the Temple and Jerusalem.
There were four decrees:
1. Cyrus, 537 B.C., Ezra 11:2-4 Rebuild the Temple
2. Darius, Ezra 6:1-5, 8, 12 Rebuild the Temple
3. Artaxerxes, 458 B.C., Ezra 7:11-26 Rebuild the Temple
4. Artaxerxes, March 14th, 445 B.C. Neh.. 2:5-8, 17, 18 Rebuild the Temple and the city (walls) etc.
69 weeks of years of 360 day years is 173,880 days. This calculates exactly to the 10th of Nisan 32 A.D. This was equal to the 6th of April 32 A.D.
445 B.C. - 32 A.D. (476 x 365) 173,740
March 14th - April 6th 24
Leap years 116
2. The lamb was to be without blemish. or without sin.
Jesus was introduced at the "Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" in John 1:29, 36
Pilate: "I find no fault in him." John 19:4
Without blemish: 1 Peter 1: 18 - 21
3. The lambs were to be killed by the head of the household (transferred later to the priests in the Temple Deut. 16:1-6) "between the evenings" of the 14th, or at twilight. Passover occurred that night. This was Friday the 13th on the Egyptian calendar. Jesus was killed on the 14th of Nisan, 32 A.D. at the ninth hour or 9:00 A.M. By 32 A.D. there were so many lambs to be inspected the 10th - the 13th was the time of inspection and the 14th from 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. was the time to kill them.
4. Not a bone was to be broken.
Ex. 12:46, Num. 9:12 and Psalms 34:20, John 19: 31-36.
5. The entire lamb was to be consumed or burnt, with nothing left the next day.
Ex 12:1-13, Lev. 23:4-5
Jesus was our complete sacrifice, nothing more can be added.
6. The people were to eat the lamb in readiness for leaving as they were going on the morrow when the Egyptians woke up with the awful death all around them. They are to eat the lamb with "bitter herbs" Hyssop- which is also used to spread the blood in point 7 below. Bitter herbs represented the suffering the messiah would go through to redeem mankind.
7. The people were to place the blood of the lamb on the overhead lintel and the doorposts on each side with hyssop. Lev. 12:22. Forms a cross.
Blood provides life, Lev. 17:11
Shedding of blood provides remission from sin: Matt. 26:27-28, Heb. 9:22.
Jesus blood on the doorposts of our hearts.
1 John 1:7, Eph. 2:13, John 5:24
The blood would be a sign for the people not the Lord.
8 Uncircumcised could not participate (uncircumcised of heart.)
Deut. 10:16, Jer. 4:4, Gal, 3:26, 6:15, Phil. 3:3, Rom. 2:28-29, 2 Cor.5:17.
Matzah, unleavened bread
Pierced and striped?
middle one broken in half, one piece wrapped in a cloth and hidden.
4 cups of wine offered
3. Redemption / Blessing
4. Taking out.
Mishna, Rabbinic commentary (in some circles judged to have greater authority than the Torah.
Wine mixed with warm water (why?) John 19:34.
Passover lamb called "his body"
The Festival of Unleavened Bread. 15th of Nisan
1 of 3 compulsory
Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the LORD thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles: and they shall not appear before the LORD empty: (Deu 16:16 KJV)
Lev 23:6-8 KJV
And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
7. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
8. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
Called the Hag haMatza.
The people were to eat unleavened bread primarily because of haste due to their departure the day after Passover. Leavening takes time.
Leavening was discovered in Egypt and first used there first. Egypt is a type of the world
Leavening is a type of sin.
It corrupts by "puffing up" or Pride.
OT type Ex. 12:15; 13:7, Lev. 2:11;6:17;10:12
NT type Matt. 16:6; Luke 13:21; I Cor. 5:6-8; Gal 5:7-9
Pride was also evident in the original fall of Satan in Ezekiel and Isaiah
Ezek 28:12-19 KJV
12. Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. (Ezek 28:16 KJV)
17. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
18. Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffic; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
19. All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.
We see even more evidence that pride and rebellion go hand in hand in Isaiah 14.
Isa 14:12-15 KJV
12. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13. For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
Jesus made sin for us. II Cor. 5:21, 1 John 3:5
Jesus "the bread of life" John 6:32-35; 47-51
Other bread models
Manna from Heaven
And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat. (Exo 16:15 KJV)
And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan. (Exo 16:35 KJV)
And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live. (Deu 8:3 KJV)
John 6:31-35 KJV
31. Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
34. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
35. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Gen. 14:18-20 KJV
18. And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20. And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. (Gen. 14:20 KJV)
Melchizedek gave the bread and wine to Abram, Melchizedek means "The King of Righteousness"
Look at Bread and Wine at Last Supper
.Mat 26:26-28 KJV
26. And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28. For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Compare with story in Gen. 40 of Baker (broken) and Wine Steward (redeemed)
Frees from old life, bondage and call to separation.
That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; (Eph 4:22 KJV)
The corrupt in the above verse reminds us of the corruption of leavening as a type of sin.
The Feast of the Firstfruits
9 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.
12 And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the first year for a burnt offering unto the LORD.
13 And the meat offering thereof shall be two tenth deals of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire unto the LORD for a sweet savor: and the drink offering thereof shall be of wine, the fourth part of an hin.
14 And ye shall eat neither bread, nor parched corn, nor green ears, until the selfsame day that ye have brought an offering unto your God: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
Israel was in the wilderness 3 days prior to being delivered from death through the red sea into life!
Ex. 13, 14
1 Cor 15:20-23 KJV
20. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. (Rom 11:16 KJV)
Was Job among the saints that came out of their graves at the resurrection?
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20 KJV)
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (James 1:18 KJV)
When was Noah's new beginning?
And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat. (Gen. 8:4 KJV)
Remember though that the 7th month in the old calendar is the 1st month in the new. So the ark came to rest on Ararat on the 17th of Nisan or on the same day as Christ was resurrected and the same day as Israel "passed" from death to life though the waters of the Red Sea.
How long was Jesus in the grave? Some argue that any part of a day counts as a whole day and Jesus was crucified on Friday and resurrected on Sunday. Others see the mention of the High Sabbath in Matt 27:62 as a "Shabbaton" in the middle of the week and Jesus was crucified on Wed. the 14th of Nisan and resurrected on Sunday the 17th of Nisan or the Festival of Firstfruits.
Possible Final Week.
Friday 9th, In Bethany 6 day before Passover. John 12:1
Saturday 10th, Triumphal Entry, Matt. 21:5, Mark 11:17, Luke 19:28
Sunday 11th, Fig Tree Cursed, Matt. 21:18, Mark 11:12
Monday 12th, Conspirators Counsel, Matt 26:2, Mark 11:20, Luke 22:1
Tuesday, 13th, Last Supper, Matt. 26:17, Mark 14:7, Luke 22:7
Wednesday, 14th, Crucifixion, John 19:14, 31,42; Mark 15:42, Luke 23:17,54
Bones were to be broken to assure death prior to the sabbath which started at 6:00 pm the 14th of Nisan. The Passover lamb was killed in the "evening" or from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Jesus died at 3:00 or the 9th hour of Lk 23:17-54.
Thursday 15th, Beginning of Feast of Unleavened Bread, lasts 7 days with 1st and last being Sabbaths. High Sabbath, Passover.
Friday 16th, Women prepare spices
Saturday 17th, sabbath, rested. Luke 23:56, "after Sabbaths Matt. 28:1 > 6:00 PM
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. (Mat 28:1 KJV)
Sunday 18th, He is risen!!!!